Like Tree10Likes

Renovating the kids room

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Renovating the kids room

Hi guys,

when we moved into our current place we only had one kid and so we only did some basic renovation and it was job done. Now we have two of them and we want to set things up so that they have a nice room but one that's also space efficient.

I'm keen to get a custom bunk bed made that takes full advantage of the space, and potentially other connected or related furniture. However I'm more than a little worried about the quality and safety of doing that.

I've had a string of "sifu" come and do various bits and pieces around the flat. The last one fitted a bookshelf that wasn't even level, came back to have a look at it and insisted it was fine. It then fell off the wall - turns out they used two inch screws and hadn't even secured it properly. Had my youngest been underneath it when it failed, he'd likely have been killed.

So, what I'm looking for is someone you guys trust to design and build this stuff. I'm more worried about the quality than the cost, I just want to sleep soundly at night not worrying if the whole thing is going to collapse and squish whoever is on the bottom bunk.

We're Kowloon side and keen on any recommendations, especially if you've already had similar work done that you've been super happy with.

Thanks in advance!

I did a similar thing with my daughter's room in the US (loft bed, dressers and such underneath) but it was freestanding, not built-in. Was super sturdy, very safe, I think my brother still has the chests of drawers as my daughter is nearly 30.

I have seen some great designs of freestanding and sturdy-looking set-ups for kids' rooms in HK, so I would take a look at those- I really think it's the safest option as I, too, have seen a lot of slap-dash built-ins in HK.

Like this one in HomeSquare in Shatin- they have a lot of really great-looking stuff:

Tavolo Kids Living – Locations

I'll definitely check that out, thanks!

Just asked a coworker with a nearly-3-year old and he told me about this site- apparently super-expensive and looks like they are moving but people go to their shop in Cyberport to get ideas and such- and play for the kids.

Anyway, I looked and their stuff is eye-popping! As in the bedroom of your dreams...

Maybe if they haven't moved yet you could pick up something on sale...or just get some good idea. They also say they will do custom made to your size- I would trust a bunk bed company to do a safe job on this.

https://kokoon.biz

I'd also check with colleagues if anyone has done a recent renovation and for contacts with decorators - most of them will outsource the actual production to a factory somewhere in China anyways.

Also does not hurt to supervise the installation - check what screws they're using etc etc...

The kokoon shop in Cyberport is expensive ($$$). You can find similar products at both the Shatin place and also if you're on the island and don't mind a short hike, at Horizon Plaza in Ap Lei Chau (several floors of "gweilo grade" furniture).

MABinPengChau likes this.

Freestanding would definitely be better with kids. I love to hang things on the walls but anything can go wrong, from the object itself, the screws can crack. I've had 3" screws just crack right off. So I wouldn't venture to get something "transformer".

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I'd also check with colleagues if anyone has done a recent renovation and for contacts with decorators - most of them will outsource the actual production to a factory somewhere in China anyways.

Also does not hurt to supervise the installation - check what screws they're using etc etc...

The kokoon shop in Cyberport is expensive ($$$). You can find similar products at both the Shatin place and also if you're on the island and don't mind a short hike, at Horizon Plaza in Ap Lei Chau (several floors of "gweilo grade" furniture).

Oh yes, this stuff is super pricey- the store I bought my loft system from was about 1/5 or less the price of this stuff- but never hurts to get some idea.

HomeSquare is also good for ideas and then go somewhere else to buy something similar- I did see a lot of kids' furniture when I went to Horizon plaza (I was looking for outdoor...).

Also I have known people (my Swedish brother-in-law) to buy Ikea furniture and then "build it in" with extra reinforcement and add doors and such...can be done by the right person with a good eye. Use it as the base frame and customize storage ladders like the pricey ones from Kokoon- seriously I am guessing the reason they are closing or moving is that people like my coworker go there for ideas and for the kids to play, but too expensive to buy.

Off memory, I believe that Tavolo mentioned in the second post will also do custom sizes for their kids furniture range.

Warning though, this stuff is bloody expensive. But it's also made in Demark (again, off memory) from solid wood, so it isn't going to have the VOC uncertainties that surround MDFs furniture sourced cheaply from China.

VOC- Volatile Organic Compound off-gassing.
    MDF- Medium Density Fibreboard.

Indigo do some nice pieces for kids

https://www.indigo-living.com/hk_en/...ving-kids.html

There was a store in the 1980's, 1990's in the US called "This End Up" that sold indestructible oiled wood furniture, solid as a rock.

This is exactly the system my daughter had, apparently still available on e-Bay. Was reasonably priced for as solid as it was-must have lasted a long time if used versions are still being sold online.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast