Like Tree12Likes

Custom-built raised platform for storage: contractor/carpenter?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Hey Kem,

Who did you go with in the end? I'm looking to build a raised platform with storage too. I don't even need any furniture to go with it, or even hydraulic lifts. Just need to be able to lift up the access door to the storage area below will do me fine. I've even drawn up the plan with most of the measurements in place, but I'm just not certain on whether or not there's enough support etc.

For this kinda job, I would think just a handyman/carpenter would do, rather than needing to go to an actual furnishing shop. I'm in TKO area, so if anyone has any recommendation, it'll be much appreciated.

Attached a couple of images just for an idea of what I'm after, in case it helps. Name:  Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 2.55.14 AM.png
Views: 597
Size:  2.73 MBName:  Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 2.55.35 AM.png
Views: 556
Size:  3.23 MB

Bumping this up. Does anyone have any recommendations? We live in quite a rural place so there's no "near your place" options, but if I take the "go find a shop" advice it's a bit overwhelming.

Because our rental/living situation is somewhat uncertain, I am looking to get a platform made for our bedroom as cheaply as possible that will still look nice and feel like a bit of an "upgrade". Also looking for it to function as a sound insulator.

Also, is it possible to get a platform made that does *not* need to be drilled/installed in the floor? We wouldn't want to do anything that involves drilling or damaging the existing floor. Ideally, we'd add a layer of carpet/carpet matting below.
    this is a bit random, but wanted to ask you -- how do Japanese do tatami mats AND cats?

My cats didn't care about tatami mats for scratching- BUT, I had one cat who was a barfer and the cat puke did stain the tatami, had to recover them...

For various platform style beds, Google "Ikea hacks" for platform and loft beds made from a variety of off-the-shelf Ikea products. I am currently using a Kallax shelf and kitchen cushion as a coffee table/ottoman, working out well so far, can also be a bench if company comes over.

But there are many ideas out there, minimal tools needed, sturdy and cheap...

MALM dressers are cheap and sturdy, come in several sizes, looks like what they uses and then tossed the frame (sans legs) on top of the MALM dressers-then two KALLAX on the end. Pretty easy to do...

Last edited by MABinPengChau; 04-01-2021 at 04:38 PM.
    Elegiaque and caipiroska like this.

Thanks for the feedback. Not looking for an IKEA hack -- to be honest, I'm kind of fed up with cheap flat-packed furniture.

Did you find a place in the end that you'd recommend? @HenryJai

I agree about the cat issue -- I was thinking this, actually. The Pricerite Space Cubes wouldn't work for the barfing reason.

Still looking for suggestions if someone has experienced with anyone... I'm getting quotes from $13-20k, so a bit on the high end.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Thanks for the feedback. Not looking for an IKEA hack -- to be honest, I'm kind of fed up with cheap flat-packed furniture.

Did you find a place in the end that you'd recommend? @HenryJai

Still looking for suggestions if someone has experienced with anyone... I'm getting quotes from $13-20k, so a bit on the high end.
    Doesn't sound like you can do what you want.

Well you CAN, but a.n.y.t.h.i.n.g custom is not cheap. Labour is expensive (relatively).

It's way cheaper to do something out of ready made units and IKEA is the only gig in town for that.

You could make a cheap looking platform for less than 13k........ but it would be plywood with visible fixings and look way cheaper than a 'hacked' flat pack option, but still at a significantly higher price.

Do you have a drawing of what you want exactly? And how you imagine it might look (finish wise), and I can point you in the right direction.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Doesn't sound like you can do what you want.

Well you CAN, but a.n.y.t.h.i.n.g custom is not cheap. Labour is expensive (relatively).

It's way cheaper to do something out of ready made units and IKEA is the only gig in town for that.

You could make a cheap looking platform for less than 13k........ but it would be plywood with visible fixings and look way cheaper than a 'hacked' flat pack option, but still at a significantly higher price.

Do you have a drawing of what you want exactly? And how you imagine it might look (finish wise), and I can point you in the right direction.
    Any recommendations for a website to show what I'm thinking of?

My dad had ours tailor made.

Any recommendations for a website to show what I'm thinking of?
    No recommendations of websites, sorry. That's not really the way custom builds work.

Normally people have seen something somewhere (a blog, instagram - It used to be magazines!) and have a base idea that can be built on.

So if you haven't tried a few different angles on instagram I can suggest that as a good starting point...... But you've already been getting quotes, so you must have something?

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    No recommendations of websites, sorry. That's not really the way custom builds work.

Normally people have seen something somewhere (a blog, instagram - It used to be magazines!) and have a base idea that can be built on.

So if you haven't tried a few different angles on instagram I can suggest that as a good starting point...... But you've already been getting quotes, so you must have something?
    What I want is almost exactly like what the previous poster made, except just with two openings, 190x320x20 or 30 high. Very simple.

What I want is almost exactly like what the previous poster made, except just with two openings, 190x320x20 or 30 high. Very simple.
    Tried these guys for a quote? I've not used them but heard them mentioned in conversation. https://www.joca.com.hk

They don't normally fix to the floor but measured to be fit snugly into the room so they don't slide around (and thus don't need floor fixings). Rubber feet or mat underneath is fine.

Depending on the finishing, total size/volume, labour and logistics (incl. COVID related inconveniences) 13-20k may not be outrageously high but multiple quotes will help determine that. Assuming you don't speak Chinese, otherwise I'd suggest taobao which is where we got ours done - they just come over from Shenzhen and nothing is done by HKers. Well, they used to before COVID...
    Elegiaque likes this.