Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Stoob
  • 3 Post By East_coast

dehumidifier or Air conditioner at home?

dehumidifier or Air conditioner at home?

Hi everyone,

I recently moved into a new apartment. I notice that my new apartment is extremely humid compared to my previous apartments in hong kong. It has already destroyed my leather jacket and a few shoes and stuff. ( I have many of those small dehumidifier small packages i have kept inside my shoe racks, clothes cabinets, windows etc.. everywhere, but they don't seem to help much.)

I bought a new 16L dehumidifier to tackle this problem at home. But I have a concern. I live alone and work 12 hrs a day, I spend most of my time in the office.

Do you guys keep the dehumidifier on whole day to address humidity issue or do you turn it on only when you get back home? If it's not working during the day (when you are away), then it doesn't really solve the problem of items getting destroyed.
    I am asking this question, because there was a big fire at one of my friends apartment a few months ago. It was a big fire and it destroyed all his stuff. The fire had started because of dehumidifier. It concerns me to keep the dehumidifier on for long time.

Other option is to keep Air conditioner on whole day. I just feel uneasy to keep air conditioner on whole day while I am away. Just waste or electricity? I am not sure if Air con will use more electricity than dehumidifier or is it better to use dehumidifier. I could keep one in living room and one in bedroom on at all times.

Could you suggest your experiences or life hacks to handle this humidity issue?

Just buy a decent dehumidifier. Anything Japanese should be fine. Then leave it running. Air con uses a lot more electricity than dehumidifier.

AIrcons - when running 'cooling' mode will just eat up the electricity until it reaches equilibrium = reached its preset chill temperature !

De-hums will work at the humidity till it reaches the ambient point and then either shuts down or keeps sucking air over its sensor. It would take a lot to cause it to be a fire hazard.

Of course it DOES require emptying the water tank .....and anyway it's MUCH less drain on your wallet when paying your electricity bill.

My? I sometimes use a couple of them in my 'man-cave' to dry the washing - that's no problem - and it does warm the room up too.

i guess my friend's dehumidifier caught fire cause it was faulty. I bought a french model of dehumidifier (Tefal brand and I hope it's good).
    from your suggestions, it seems like it is fine to keep the dehumidifier on whole day even if I am away from the home. I hope this is a safe practice.
    if the water tank is full, it shuts down automatically anyways, so it's not an issue.

Use a dehumidifier all the time. Get one made by a reputable manufacturer. A single 16L unit might not be enough if your place is too big or too humid- you want to be sizing your capacity so that sometimes the chosen humidity level is reached and the machines turn off. Rather than have one small unit running flat out all the time without reaching the present humidity level.

The 'life hack' would be move to a place where high humidity is not a problem.

Check your dehumidifier for a small hose connection (Maybe behind the water tank), if you attach a plastic hose and position correctly you should be able to run all day without fear of the tank filling and letting the humidity rise again.

East_coast likes this.

Hong Kong homes tend to leak like a sieve. As well as getting a dehumidifier permanently connected to a drain look to seal up all the gaps in your doors and windows.

Turn the aircon down on a hot day and look for warm leaks

Then fit the right seals

chichow, robhung and jimbo_jones like this.