Like Tree3Likes

HKT provision for ethernet wall jacks

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    in new buildings, there is a network room typically on the ground floor, with a riser to each floor in the building, each floor or every two floors has a distribution board. network cables are routed in the common area of each floor to each flat. In the "old" days network wiring was connected in a daisy chain (my old office was wired like that) or individually one cable to one outlet, it appears that the socket is one the daisy chain, break a cable lose the whole circuit.

I guess one conduit goes to the distribution board (outside your flat) and the other connects to another outlet somewhere in your flat or perhaps your neighbour.

I think it is worth mentioning I believe the cabling is not your property it is owned and belongs to HKT.

Typically flat owners are not permitted access to the central riser or distribution board for security reasons. At the distribution board end, all cables will be bundled and bound with nylon cable ties, if you try to pull the cable you might accidentally disconnect other network cables, so I wouldn't bother.
    Yeah, I’m gonna try a powerline adapter instead. Just kind of weird to have someone’s property in my house. They should’ve wired for ethernet for the homeowners’ use instead of something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    who is providing fiber to your house?? why cant you just ask them to connect those outlets to your fiber line as well??
    HKT/Netvigator is providing fiber to my house. I tried to ask them where the cables went and if I could use them, but if you’ve interacted with them, you’d know that those installers are like robots. They do one job over and over again and can’t handle anything else, even just answering questions like that.

Those jacks were already there before I signed up for fiber, which was the only choice, really. The building is really new, just got turned over october 2018, and i’m just wondering why they even bothered to wire them up with cat5e that wr can’t use, and they only offer fiber plans at my building anyway..

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    who is providing fiber to your house?? why cant you just ask them to connect those outlets to your fiber line as well??

Also, you can’t just “connect” those outlets to fiber. You need an optical network terminal (which I do have), connected to the modem, which you connect your router to, and then you connect your switches and access points to that. But the thing is I can’t find a centralized patch panel or distribution board so I can set up my network there. They just took a fiber optic line already in one of those plates like in the picture, terminated it, plugged the modem in, and left.

There are at least 5 of those wall jacks, provisioned with cat5e and fiber, but they only used one. The others seem to be sitting unused and wasted. Would’ve been nice if they had made some sort of patch/distribution panel inside the apartment somewhere, instead of routing those cables out to the common area/ELV room. Totally useless. They don’t need to run 5 (or 10) separate ethernet cables per apartment to an ELV room, it doesn’t make sense. They could’ve just had 1 gigabit ethernet line and/or 1 fiber optic line running per apartment to the ELV room from a patch panel in the apartment, then we have somewhere to set io our own networks. Just imagine 10 apartments per floor? That’s 100 cables sitting unused per floor.
    chuckster007 likes this.

Were you able to figure out if these can be used in any useful way? I am wondering if these can be used as ethernet backhaul for mesh routers. Did you ever try plugging in an ethernet cable from your wifi router into a jack, and then a 2nd ethernet cable from a different jack to 2nd router/device?
    I'm wondering if these jacks are internally connected in a way where the following setup will work to transmit a local network internally in the house: Fiber cable -> HKT modem -> Ethernet cable -> Wifi router -> Ethernet cable -> Wall jack ---different room--- Wall jack -> Ethernet cable -> Wifi router/desktop.