Like Tree3Likes

HKT provision for ethernet wall jacks

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question HKT provision for ethernet wall jacks

Hi all,

I have these ethernet wall jacks in my apartment, with a HKT faceplate on it.

I was wondering, where do these jacks terminate?

Would it be possible to use these ethernet runs and pull new cable for my own use or something?

I tried connecting various ethernet devices to these things, but they don't seem to be terminated anywhere.

Name:  IMG_3309.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  1.82 MB

Name:  IMG_3310.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  1.84 MB

Name:  IMG_3312.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  1.77 MB
    This one's a bit weird, I've never seen anything like this before, it looks like two cables are terminated at the same jack?

Name:  IMG_3313.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  1.53 MB

Anything I can do with these wires/conduit?

How do I figure out where these wires go?

Thanks.

Unless I'm completely misreading this, wouldn't they simply go outside the apartment?

shri likes this.

We had those too. They terminate where ever the outside internet enters your flat, in our case a small wall cubicle inside the maid bedroom. You can use them to pull your own Ethernet, that's what we did. The second cable goes from this jack to the next jack.

I have fibre internet coming in through one of these wall plates, but the ethernet jacks seem to be unused. I cannot find a distribution box anywhere, I feel like it might be in the ELV room outside the apartment.

What’s the best way to find where it goes? I tried pulling them but they won’t budge.

Would be such a shame to put these ethernet wall jacks/conduits and be unable to use them.

It might be the old socket which used to split voice + dsl connections.

I recall having something similar a while back. Typically should terminate at the distribution box on the floor (in your stairwell?) where the electrical / telco cables are.

Quote Originally Posted by krebstar:
    What’s the best way to find where it goes? I tried pulling them but they won’t budge.
    Take all the wall jacks off, unclip the cable and slowly pull on each cable until you find out which goes where. You'll probably need more than person to do this or you'll have to mark the cable with black pen and check which one disappeared inside the pipe a bit after you pulled on the other end. If they won't budge you might not be able to pull new cables through the existing pipes anyway.
    I used the company that installed my HKT fiber for that. (Not HKT, but the contractor they had arranged to pull the fiber to our unit.)

I think mine terminate in the ceiling above the kitchen. Mine are not HKT, just standard white ones, my building uses Towngas Telecom and when I upgraded my connection from 100 to 1000 a while back, the Towngas guy asked me which room do I want to put the modem in (I have these plugs in 3 different rooms) and then he did some messing around in the ceiling and told me only this room will work and not the others.

Thanks guys. Looks like Best way is to ask the building management, tough when they can’t speak English though. Might have to settle for powerline..

Quote Originally Posted by krebstar:
    Hi all,

I have these ethernet wall jacks in my apartment, with a HKT faceplate on it.

I was wondering, where do these jacks terminate?

Would it be possible to use these ethernet runs and pull new cable for my own use or something?

I tried connecting various ethernet devices to these things, but they don't seem to be terminated anywhere.

This one's a bit weird, I've never seen anything like this before, it looks like two cables are terminated at the same jack?

Anything I can do with these wires/conduit?

How do I figure out where these wires go?

Thanks.
    in new buildings, there is a network room typically on the ground floor, with a riser to each floor in the building, each floor or every two floors has a distribution board. network cables are routed in the common area of each floor to each flat. In the "old" days network wiring was connected in a daisy chain (my old office was wired like that) or individually one cable to one outlet, it appears that the socket is one the daisy chain, break a cable lose the whole circuit.

I guess one conduit goes to the distribution board (outside your flat) and the other connects to another outlet somewhere in your flat or perhaps your neighbour.

I think it is worth mentioning I believe the cabling is not your property it is owned and belongs to HKT.

Typically flat owners are not permitted access to the central riser or distribution board for security reasons. At the distribution board end, all cables will be bundled and bound with nylon cable ties, if you try to pull the cable you might accidentally disconnect other network cables, so I wouldn't bother.
    shri likes this.

who is providing fiber to your house?? why cant you just ask them to connect those outlets to your fiber line as well??

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast