Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dynamco
  • 1 Post By gch555
  • 1 Post By gch555

Handyman

Handyman

I want to insert an extra shelf inside my wardrobe. There is a wood shop nearby that I can take an existing shelf to and have them copy the piece to get the dimensions right, but I would still need a handyman with a drill to basically get some kind of support to install it. Simple job but I don't have any tools here and it obviously makes no sense for me to buy a whole heap of equipment that I would never use again.

Anyone able to recommend a handyman and advise on cost for a simple job like this?

one Philips screwdriver
    6 x 50mm self tapping screws
    get the wood
    draw a line under it both sides
    insert the screws leaving 5mm exposed supports
    done

orel100x likes this.

PM sent for a recommendation.

Sounds like a cheap enough (ugly!) DIY job unless you want the wood nicely laminated or something though.

look at the Ikea shelves
    they have a piece of cheapo fiberboard resting on 4 plugs

Happy to lend my drill kit for a good cause.

To add to dynamco's post, add to the shopping list some right-angle shelf supports (they look like this https://www.dhgate.com/product/20-pc...215031966.html). They'll support your shelf better than the head of an exposed screw. (click the link, the thumbnail photo in this post is wrong!)

It's about $15 in screws/tabs plus wood and you probably have a screwdriver and a ruler already.

Or check Ikea for shelf addons for their cupboard ranges (e.g. PAX).

Either way it's 15min work and done. I can't imagine a handyman charging under $400 for this unless you know a local guy, in which case you'd probably have asked him already than come here.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gch555
    To add to dynamco's post, add to the shopping list some right-angle shelf supports (they look like this https://www.dhgate.com/product/20-pc...215031966.html). They'll support your shelf better than the head of an exposed screw. (click the link, the thumbnail photo in this post is wrong!)

It's about $15 in screws/tabs plus wood and you probably have a screwdriver and a ruler already.

Or check Ikea for shelf addons for their cupboard ranges (e.g. PAX).

Either way it's 15min work and done. I can't imagine a handyman charging under $400 for this unless you know a local guy, in which case you'd probably have asked him already than come here.
    Thanks for the suggestions, will take a look at Ikea.

Otherwise I like your idea of using the L-Shaped angle supports. Any good hardware stores that sell these?

Yeah, all hardware stores should sell these, they're commonly used.

Most hardware stores are tiny but have everything somewhere. If you can't find them quickly just show a photo to the person at the desk, they'll find them for you.

shri likes this.