Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By jgl
  • 1 Post By UK/HKboy
  • 1 Post By PointingFinger

Mandatory Window Inspections

Mandatory Window Inspections

Hi, I've received a mandatory windows inspection notice. Does anyone have any recommendations for a qualified person to come inspect my windows? And could you let me know how much they charge? Thanks!

jgl

Tell them that you're under voluntary quarantine and that they are welcome to send someone around to check anytime

chuckster007 and hullexile like this.

You can search on the Buildings Department website. I just picked at random (i went to the end of the list because I assumed the ones near the top would have the most bookings and more expensive).

https://www.bd.gov.hk/en/resources/o.../qpsearch.html

I remember it cost me about $300 for the inspection about 2 or 3 years ago. I still think its a bit of a scam. The guy was saying some of the screws were loose or rusted etc. although I have renovated less than 10 years ago, and it would cost an extra $300 (so $600 total). So its a bit like they have you by the balls, because if you don't pay, they won't pass your windows, and you have problems with the authorities. And its not enough cost to be worth the hassle.

shri likes this.

Your building management should have their own list of recommended contractors. We had this done a couple of years ago. In my opinion it's another one of those Govt sanctioned scams. We had a 3 bed 1000sq ft flat with multiple windows and were charged around 12,000 in total (for example, each new handle, with even a bit of wobble, will cost around $200-$300). The contractors have guidelines on what they can charge and they invariably charge close to the max.

Yes, must be done. We had a notice issued about 6 years ago against a property we were letting out. Of course, the tenant never told us and it popped up on a land search when we tried to sell. It had to be done before the sale could go through (this was 4 years after the notice was issued).

shri likes this.

Thanks everyone, will try hard not to get scammed!