Like Tree17Likes

what's your experence of smart digital lock within HK or are you considering to install one soon?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    bdw

All 450+ apartments in my building built in 2008 have fingerprint locks and the concierge guys downstairs have 9V batteries. I've needed it once in 12 years

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chichow:
    Don't know where the OP lives but 9V batteries are stocked at Japan Home Centers, 7/11 Circle K stores etc
    you actually do know which area is i live at

yes, 9v is very common

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    so i guess you also have a spare key for the car in your house..

by murphy's law on the day that you forget/lost your car key and needs to get the spare back home, will also be the day that your battery in the e lock will run flat and you can't get a 9V battery replacement ?
    its a digital lock, you dont need a key. i also have a spare 9V battery hidden in the fire hose reel cabinet.

If you've ever watched KDrama, i think most of Korea uses them as well lol

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    If you've ever watched KDrama, i think most of Korea uses them as well lol
    no, i don't watch melodramatic k dramas, yes, but i am aware that korea uses it.

jgl

I have a fingerprint reader lock, which also has a keypad for a PIN. No need to carry a key or a keyring anymore, so it's been great.

But it's not "smart" in that it's not connected to the internet. In in my book is generally code for "stupid idea to connect something to the internet with insufficient security." If I was running an AirBNB, I'd consider having a "smart" lock. But I'm not running an AirBNB.

My requirements:
    Fingerprint reader
    PIN
    Physical master key for backup (physically overrides the locking mechanism)
    External battery terminals (they all have this)
    No internet connectivity
    No wireless unlocking (bluetooth, Z-wave, NFC, anything else).

Z-wave seems to be a heavily promoted wireless tech for door locks.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasb...n-smart-homes/

One thing I noticed when looking before was that the Korean locks generally didn't come with physical master keys, so they are completely dependent on the electronics never, ever failing. As someone involved in tech, I find this belief mildly laughable.

The lock I ended up with is a simple Yale one. Made by iRevo, which is Korean, but because it's not branded as a Korean lock, they could break the mold and provide a physical override key.

Last edited by jgl; 22-05-2020 at 10:52 AM.
    bdw and imparanoic like this.

Our apartment complex has keypads installed for all flats, but we still keep a spare key in case the batteries run out...lived here for 8yrs and only had to use the key once lol

imparanoic likes this.

We got samsung one without the wifi (forgot the model). It is so convenient to use. We have it for 6yrs now. We replace the battery only every 2yrs.

I thought about getting one, but we have a steel gate on the front door, so we would still need to use a key.

jgl

Quote Originally Posted by toni_celin:
    We got samsung one without the wifi (forgot the model). It is so convenient to use. We have it for 6yrs now. We replace the battery only every 2yrs.
    That's good going. My lock needs the batteries replaced about twice a year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast