Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By billyb
  • 4 Post By Skyhook

Split Type A/C Suggestions

Closed Thread

Split Type A/C Suggestions

For a tenanted apartment: two questions actually. Assume that in all cases i'm only considering inverter types with energy 1 rating.

1) If you were property seeking, would a Fortress brand a/c affect your image of the place? I mean probably you wouldn't care, but in the sense that you might then question the quality of everything overall and worry if the place would fall apart. Or maybe most people won't bat an eyelid.

I ask, obviously, because it's one of the cheapest options and also inclusive of a 2 year warranty (most brands only one).

2) Otherwise, anyone have brand suggestions? Long term i'd prefer reliable over price, since scaffolding ain't cheap and its a pain in the arse. But people don't make things like they used to. Are Daikin still as reliable as they once were? Or is Fortress that bad? (The unit to-be-replaced is a Fortress, kaput after 5 years, but there's another one still going strong after 7+ years).

Hitachi - any opinions? That's the other brand which offers a 2 year warranty.

Thanks!

Split inverter is the key factor. What brand it is hardly matter for an average tennant.

Daikin will appeal to higher paying tennents

Hitachi, Misubishi, General, Daikin

I would avoid fortress.

Not sure why a 2020 thread is being ressurrected by I have been told to avoid General like the plague, and that Daikin are not as robust as they used to be.

ArrynField likes this.

Panasonic is also good.

Split systems are only as reliable as their installation. If installed hermetically sealed properly with a liquid receiver dryer installed in line by a qualified refrigeration mechanic, you won't have any issues.

Majority of problems with split systems failing prematurely is because they weren't installed properly and had air in the refrigeration lines that a % of water while refrigerant ( oil) being partly at liquid state also lubricates the compressor. Water breaks the lubrication property's down and prematurely ruins ones compressor. Then there's also poorly maintained bsp flare tooling or careless swage capillary soldering joints that can leak due to being done badly in the first place.

Get a good installer and you'll be fine.

Lots of cowboys in Hong Kong, always wise to contact the aircon distributor of the brand you wish to purchase and ask them who their preferred installers are as they'll have a list to refer you to.

Last edited by Skyhook; 27-06-2023 at 08:30 AM.
    ndt, emx, VillanElle and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Split systems are only as reliable as their installation. If installed hermetically sealed properly with a liquid receiver dryer installed in line by a qualified refrigeration mechanic, you won't have any issues.

Majority of problems with split systems failing prematurely is because they weren't installed properly and had air in the refrigeration lines that a % of water while refrigerant ( oil) being partly at liquid state also lubricates the compressor. Water breaks the lubrication property's down and prematurely ruins ones compressor. Then there's also poorly maintained bsp flare tooling or careless swage capillary soldering joints that can leak due to being done badly in the first place.

Get a good installer and you'll be fine.

Lots of cowboys in Hong Kong, always wise to contact the aircon distributor of the brand you wish to purchase and ask them who their preferred installers are as they'll have a list to refer you to.
    Lot of what you said sounds greek/sanskrit but its one of those things where you dont completely understand it still get a feeling it must make sense.. On an anecdotal basis i have hardly noticed any difference in Hitachi or Gree, both works equally fine without any issue for years depending on use, perhaps something to do with the fact that AC/TV/Computer and most basic electronic appliances have hardly any rocket science involved in it, any manufracturer can make decent product these days..

i found a really good installer who works with the reseller. went with Hitachi and Daikin. Found them on price.com and is top 3 highest rated. he gave me some free advice (diagnosis) on my existing machine and didn't try to nickel/dime.