Like Tree4Likes

Renovator' mistake on cabinet--how much % should I pay?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Renovator' mistake on cabinet--how much % should I pay?

Hi,

I am renovating a flat to live in, and it is at the final week.
    Last week, I went to meet the contractor in the flat.
    I realized that the 'Kitchen Cabinet' and 'Toilet Cabinet' colors were flipped.
    (they were completely opposite colors, so I am quite annoyed)

I was very explicit with the colors on WhatsApp when I stated color choices (with color codes from his booklet + photo of the booklet).
    I have all sorts of evidence that I was crystal-clear on what color goes to which cabinet.

The contractor told me Saturday that there was "communication error" (i.e., his mistake) and he will give me $5000 discount (Originally $26000 on kitchen and toilet cabinets on the contract).

I said this is definitely not acceptable, and not much conversation went through after that.
    I do understand that he did install some sort of cabinet, so I should pay some % of the $26000.
    But at the same time, redoing all the cabinet with the color combination I like will cost at least $26000 in the future.

For me, the max I am willing to pay is 50% of the cabinet price listed on the contract.
    If the contractor refuses, I plan to say: "feel free to re-do the cabinet based on the choices stated, or take legal action".

Not sure if this is reasonable request, am I being too harsh, or am I being too lenient on the contractor?
    Any thoughts to share?

Thanks!

Last edited by simpsjk; 03-08-2020 at 09:56 AM.

Depending on the difference in color I would say 5000 sounds fair. I doubt legal action would get you anything more than that either after taking your time spent at the small claims court into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Depending on the difference in color I would say 5000 sounds fair. I doubt legal action would get you anything more than that either after taking your time spent at the small claims court into consideration.
    Well, toilet cabinet was supposed to be wooden color.
    Kitchen cabinet supposed to be white.
    So quite a big flipped-color situation here.

"feel free to take legal action" is because I know contractor would not have much chances to win.
    He is the one who didn't do job the properly and the difference in amount is quite little (13000 discount I want vs. 5000 discount he is offering).
    Probably not worth his time/legal fees.

True, but the way it works in HK is you apply to the small claims court, show up on the date and the judge will tell you to settle on the spot. If you can't settle he will give you a judgement which is pretty much unenforceable if the other party doesn't cooperate. I would say that route isn't worth either of your time. If the color doesn't clash, ie the whole kitchen is now wood colored, I would just live with it. If only one cabinet is wood colored and the rest is white I would have him change it. Ultimately it's your kitchen and your choice, but 5k seems reasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    True, but the way it works in HK is you apply to the small claims court, show up on the date and the judge will tell you to settle on the spot. If you can't settle he will give you a judgement which is pretty much unenforceable if the other party doesn't cooperate. I would say that route isn't worth either of your time. If the color doesn't clash, ie the whole kitchen is now wood colored, I would just live with it. If only one cabinet is wood colored and the rest is white I would have him change it. Ultimately it's your kitchen and your choice, but 5k seems reasonable to me.
    It's an open-kitchen style with all home (excluding toilet) wood theme flooring, so the wooden-theme kitchen cabinet will look awkward.

I am overall mad at the renovator for other parts (there was theft of $12000 worth items I bought, probably because he left the key near the flat. He changed the lock before police arrived and evidence destroyed) and I already suffered a loss.

Perhaps I will adjust my max payment a bit up after considering your comment.
    Thanks for your reply!
    mrgoodkat likes this.

White cabs in bathroom are tough to maintain. White not wood in the kitchen is the current trend. Push harder for a greater discount. Imply reputational capital is at stake. HK kitchens are small. If it were a larger kitchen the whole mistake would be even more outragous than it is. Its a major design issue. You wanted modern and they gave you a 1990's kitchen. Plus you need to control moisture viligently (as you should anyway regardless of finish) in the bathroom or you will see black spots on that white finish.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Push harder for a greater discount.
    Thanks for your reply.

Any suggestion on % to 'aim' for?
    To be honest, I don't mind fighting him in court.
    Probably not worth his time/money to fight me, and I am willing to spare more time for the monetary difference.

Have they flat out refused to fix it? I know it may take time... but if you think it really doesn't look good then why not fight for them to fix it rather than a bigger discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter White:
    why not fight for them to fix it rather than a bigger discount.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Well, I am currently living on rented flat during renovation, and the lease will expire very soon.
    If he fixes it, it will take additional time and I have to incur another month's rent.

As stated in the main post, I will tell him "feel free to re-do the cabinet based on the choices stated, or take legal action"

He probably wouldn't re-do it because it would cost him more to: demolish existing cabinet + reorder + reinstall.

I would prefer greater discount as I do not want to pay for another month's rent just because of his mistake.

We had a kitchen renovation afew years ago and the huge black stone countertop that we ordered came with a lip on the edge when we specifically asked for it to be flat. This was also a communication problem i.e. he wasn't listening.

He came through for us though and replaced the whole thing with the one we actually ordered.

emx likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast