Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By ArrynField
  • 1 Post By hike
  • 2 Post By RMDNC
  • 2 Post By RMDNC
  • 3 Post By GreenCatalonia
  • 1 Post By ArrynField
  • 2 Post By periphery831

Using AC or dehumidiers during painting?

Using AC or dehumidiers during painting?

I recently had painters in and ran a few ACs and portable dehumidifiers during the process. I've read it is fine to do so but in hindsight a bad idea.

One dehumidifier started smelling funky, then both ACs started smelling bad. I cleaned the ACs with JHC AC cleaning sprays, then used Scotch Brite disinfectant to wipe the inner fins. So far no more smell, but the dehumidifier wasn't salvageable.

What do you think was the cause?

The paint used was Dulex Pentalite.

Also, how to clean inside the vent area? Profession cleaning? Looks like black mould, should I be worried?

Name:  20200806_134546_compress11.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  1.76 MB

They are idiots. When painting you want fresh air. AC is recirculated. They were trying to get rid of fumes but instead they spread it. The moisture from the paint went into your system. Fresh air via window and fan followed by bowl(s) of water is what I have seen professsionals do. https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/painting.pdf

periphery831 and gigglinggal like this.

I would make them pay to repair or replace both the AC and the dehumidifer. The dehumidifier sucked all the vapors in. Only way to clean that would be to use a thinner which would damage the plastics. They focused on convenience to them by using your non-painting equipment when they should have brought some heavy duty fans. I can understand not opening windows so as not to disturb neighbors or draw moisture in but they were direlect in thier professionalism IMO.

Try this if any remaning odor: https://lifehacker.com/remove-fresh-...ter-1606788006

Last edited by RMDNC; 06-08-2020 at 03:50 PM.
    periphery831 and gigglinggal like this.

Opening your dehumidifier will probably void your warranty. Unplug device.

Open it up and take apart fan and parts that are fabric/mesh/sponge like. Soak in vinegar. Then soak in water. Wait till 200% dry. Put parts in. Wait a few days. Turn on. Water and electricity mixed can kill. Ensure dry and unplugged when worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    They are idiots. When painting you want fresh air. AC is recirculated. They were trying to get rid of fumes but instead they spread it. The moisture from the paint went into your system. Fresh air via window and fan followed by bowl(s) of water is what I have seen professsionals do. https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/painting.pdf
    periphery831 likes this.

Cheers guys!

If the smells has gone from the ACs and remaining dehumidifer, then do you think they are safe to use now?

How about the mould on the inner vent? Any ways to clean it?

You can try popping the air vent blades out of the recessed sockets and then cleaning with a bleach solution.

Alternatively, there are some A/C companies which take the A/C away and clean with solution and hose...Approx 600-800 for windows A/C

periphery831 likes this.

SWMBO had five of our Aircon's cleaned recently by "National Panasonic' technicians in our flat.

Wrapped up in plastic sheeting so that the hi-pressure jet of water used to clean the interior poured down into a large bucket on the floor [and NOT over the floor] !!

Cost? An alarming $600 each for 4 and $750 for one !!

It left us with NO mess to clear up, but with a plundered wallet to refill.

SWMBO was satisfied with the result ---> which was what mattered!

If the room still smells, try bicarbonate of soda

https://www.whatpaint.co.uk/informat...of-paint-smell

periphery831 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    You can try popping the air vent blades out of the recessed sockets and then cleaning with a bleach solution.

Alternatively, there are some A/C companies which take the A/C away and clean with solution and hose...Approx 600-800 for windows A/C
    Cheers for the tip. Job well done I'd say.
    Name:  20200806_205230_compress30.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  1.87 MB
    gigglinggal and irisboards like this.