Like Tree5Likes

Old Building -- Water Leakage

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    will say your renovator is not bs ing you about water channeling down walls from the roof or around windows.

HK apartments have no pipes going through floors so my guess is they have a leaky showerpan and giving the age of the building its not a far fetched idea.
    Good to know that renovator is not BS-ing to avoid responsibility. To be honest I cannot trust that guy... always blame everything else except himself.

For my current flat, after demolition I have checked that there are no water pipes on the floor.
    But it is an old building, and I know a LOT of the flats in the building are subdivided. 2 out of 4 flats are subdivided just in my floor, so very good chance that it might be subdivided and have toilets in various locations (and hence the water pipes).

I will try to see from outside today...

Quote Originally Posted by simpsjk:
    Good to know that renovator is not BS-ing to avoid responsibility. To be honest I cannot trust that guy... always blame everything else except himself.

For my current flat, after demolition I have checked that there are no water pipes on the floor.
    But it is an old building, and I know a LOT of the flats in the building are subdivided. 2 out of 4 flats are subdivided just in my floor, so very good chance that it might be subdivided and have toilets in various locations (and hence the water pipes).

I will try to see from outside today...
    I assume the plumbing would not comply with code and you can get them that way.

Quote Originally Posted by tparker:
    ...for that the colour tests which FEHD do are very useful as the leaks can then be traced back to a source.
    not really, dye testing is only used to help identify seepage from drainage pipes, and requires FEHD to be involved to gain access if the above area is private property. dont ever put dye inside water pipes.

Original Post Deleted
    Not sure about "professional" but we do hire Management Company.
    I spoke with the management company, and they surprisingly speak good English.

Any idea how much it would cost to fix?
    I might consult with my insurance company.

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    not really, dye testing is only used to help identify seepage from drainage pipes, and requires FEHD to be involved to gain access if the above area is private property. dont ever put dye inside water pipes.
    Yes - FEHD are key to that since, as a government department, any findings on paper should carry weight in further action. I wouldn’t suggest anyone dump stuff down their own pipes either!

These days it’s typically FEHD and BD who work together as a “joint department investigation” on these matters. FEHD only care about the pipes, but if water seepage is discovered through internal concrete it becomes a BD issue. Best thing is their services are free.

Neither deal with exterior wall seepage, which becomes an IO matter.

Original Post Deleted
    Just a 350sqft house, so not too big.
    I would actually be surprised if it is only 4 digit... then I would just do it myself without bothering IO.
    Just hope it would be in the low 5 digit.

Quote Originally Posted by tparker:
    Neither deal with exterior wall seepage, which becomes an IO matter.
    So if this is the case, I have no choice but to accept the fact...
    This is quite sad...

As for issue number 1:
    Luckily the landlord in upper floor is quite reasonable.
    I complained to the management office, and I was told they will hire inspector from Buildings Department and fix if necessary.
    (I have not provided them with report yet)

Earlier this month when I complained about aircon water dripping to 1823, they fixed it within a week.
    I guess there are still a lot of considerate people.

Update for people who may read in the future:

Management said they need to report to bring it up to IO meeting.
    To get the report, technician said they need go to the flat upstairs.
    The flat upstairs said they cannot allow private technician inside (but will allow from Buildings Department).

I can see management office not calling me back despite daily requests, and only answer once a day in WhatsApp.
    I had an argument with them over the phone, and they told me to escalate to the Buildings Department.

I called 1823 and they will contact me back within 6 working days.
    Hopefully, it will end well.

Further update on this thread in case some of you experience similar matter.

The Management office was pain in the A to deal with...
    never calling me back.... and barely letting me to talk to the person in charge.

I plan to take legal actions now.
    Upon enquiring to some law firms and leakage surveyors, I should do this:
    1. hire surveyor to inspect and write up a report (costs around $15k, can be covered by insurance generally)
    2. Hire a lawyer (1st demand note to cost $4500)

And from there Lawyer will deal with it.
    Seems like legal cost isn't too bad, and my insurance may even cover it.

(Buildings Department said they cannot do anything regarding external wall issues...
    and ceiling leakage will be investigated as suspected illegal toilet by Food and Environmental Hygiene department)

After discussing with surveyor, it seems like it is best to wait for a heavy rainy day to inspect.
    In case you experience similar issues..... good luck!