Like Tree5Likes

Old Building -- Water Leakage

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

It is worth noting that if you do take legal action the record of this may be revealed in a search by a potential buyer if you decide to sell the unit some time in the future. This might be a problem for you if the leakage issue remains unresolved.

Quote Originally Posted by walkup:
    It is worth noting that if you do take legal action the record of this may be revealed in a future search by the potential buyer if you decide to sell the unit some time in the future. This might be a problem for you if the leakage issue remains unresolved.
    ahh right. It should appear somewhere on 'Encumbrances' section during the land search.
    hmmm... Thanks for raising this point.

I will consider fixing cost as well after getting surveyor to investigate.

A couple of points:
    1. Try not to fall out (if possible) with the management committee/secretary if there is one. Any future potential buyer solicitor/enquiries would go through them.
    2. Sometimes communications with affected parties can be smoothed ahead of pulling the trigger on recourse to legal action. In my situation I let my property agent try to handle all the communications with others. If you have a friendly local agent see if you can discuss the matter with them. If you don't have someone in mind, there will be some of us on this forum who can suggest someone.

A couple of points:
    1. Try not to fall out (if possible) with the management committee/secretary if there is one. Any future potential buyer solicitor/enquiries would go through them.
    2. Sometimes communications with affected parties can be smoothed ahead of pulling the trigger on recourse to legal action. In my situation I let my property agent try to handle all the communications with others. If you have a friendly local agent see if you can discuss the matter with them. If you don't have someone in mind, there will be some of us on this forum who can suggest someone.
    Thank you for your reply.

Actually there is one IO meeting, but it's a old standalone building.... everything (Even notice) is in Chinese....
    Not sure that, even if I go, whether we can communicate at all.

I am curious about the "property agent".
    Could you explain more please?

Is it someone that can represent my interest (for a fee of course) on dealing with IO/management office?

The type of property agent I am referring to is one who typically acts on behalf of a landlord liaising with tenants and building management and dealing with maintenance issues. The local agent I work with is freelance (but originally came into contact with through a property shop on Staunton Street) and have worked with him for several years.

The type of property agent I am referring to is one who typically acts on behalf of a landlord liaising with tenants and building management and dealing with maintenance issues. The local agent I work with is freelance (but originally came into contact with through a property shop on Staunton Street) and have worked with him for several years.
    That sounds great!
    Do you mind sharing contact info with me (and possibly price) please?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by simpsjk:
    That sounds great!
    Do you mind sharing contact info with me (and possibly price) please?

Thanks!
    I think you should probably PM me for details.

Quote Originally Posted by simpsjk:
    Luckily the landlord in upper floor is quite reasonable.
    Oh dear... did he/she turn out to be not so reasonable?

Unfortunately issues with common area are much harder to deal with, as you're also experiencing. Ultimately IO can be sued for dereliction of duty ... it sounds like you're on the right course already, with plans for a survey and eventually legal notices. Per #25 - trying to smooth things over first can be wise. For AGM, perhaps you can consider turning up with a Cantonese speaking friend.

I'm curious which management company you use, if not too private to disclose? Our building has been through three in as many years, and through other buildings i've personally had dealings with a half dozen more. One thing for sure: they're nearly all universally devious, and most are equally useless.

Legco report on Joint Office....Approx 40% success rate in detecting leaks, or 60% failure rate.....

https://www.legco.gov.hk/yr19-20/english/panels/rmab/papers/rmab20200120cb2-517-5-e.pdf

If Joint FEHD / BD fail, have a look at employing a private consultant...

https://silverconeng.com.hk/en/pages.php?pageid=5