Like Tree5Likes

Old Building -- Water Leakage

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

There are many inconsiderate homeowners.

Given their lack of communication, they will probably ignore the legal letter.

I would get the survey done (this is your evidence), as the onus is for you to prove where the leak comes from.

Ask the solicitor to confirm costs to represent you in court.

Ask the surveyor how much they charge to be an expert witness in court.

Quote Originally Posted by simpsjk:
    To consider repairing myself, I first need to identify the source of leakage, which requires hiring of surveyor.
    I am quite annoyed that upper flat is not allowing my surveyor to enter despite DMC specifically stating they have to.
    Judging from your video, the water is coming from the external wall. If you cant get access from the flat above, you might consider getting some scaffolding installed outside your flat, and then use that as the platform to do a water test of the external wall, and get your contractor to apply some waterproofing to the wall around and above your flat.

You can rent elevated work platforms

@walkup I would also like to get the contact details of your property agent as I would also like to know how much he/she charges to liaise between landlord and building management on maintenance issues. I will pm you, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by simpsjk:
    Further update on this thread in case some of you experience similar matter.

The Management office was pain in the A to deal with...
    never calling me back.... and barely letting me to talk to the person in charge.

I plan to take legal actions now.
    Upon enquiring to some law firms and leakage surveyors, I should do this:
    1. hire surveyor to inspect and write up a report (costs around $15k, can be covered by insurance generally)
    2. Hire a lawyer (1st demand note to cost $4500)

And from there Lawyer will deal with it.
    Seems like legal cost isn't too bad, and my insurance may even cover it.

(Buildings Department said they cannot do anything regarding external wall issues...
    and ceiling leakage will be investigated as suspected illegal toilet by Food and Environmental Hygiene department)

After discussing with surveyor, it seems like it is best to wait for a heavy rainy day to inspect.
    In case you experience similar issues..... good luck!
    @simpsjk Wondering if your water leakage has been resolved and what was the outcome? Also, you mentioned your insurance company would cover the cost of the surveyor inspection and report, may I know what kind of insurance is this? Is it home insurance or fire insurance, and which insurance company? Hope you don't mind sharing the info.

I have recently experienced water seepage issue in the ceiling of my bay windows due to typhoon couple weeks back. Brought it to attention of building management and they let a technician come to inspect it (only visual check with mirror to look at the roof part of the bay window) and said there was nothing wrong with the external part of the bay window roof so it is not their responsibility. Bay window roof is covered with tiles and I have a feeling that the waterproofing layer underneath the tiles may be the issue, which cannot be detected by visual check as it is covered with tiles. Building age is 27 yrs old. I do have home insurance but not fire insurance.

Would also be interested to know which surveyor you used. I looked at the Joint Office / Buildings Dept website and there were 2 lists provided for consultancy firms and experts on water seepage (see below). Is your surveyor on the list? Short of cold calling all the firms / experts on the list, any recommendations on how to go about finding one? Want to get a qualified surveyor that can do a proper inspection and report and is reasonably priced.

Appreciate any assistance, thanks!

The Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors (HKIS) proactively informs that their experienced professional members / building surveying consultant firms are willing to provide such services. The following hyperlinks are provided by the HKIS.

1. List of Consultancy Firms provide Advice on Water Seepage Problem
      https://www.hkis.org.hk/hkis/general...t202005_11.pdf
    2. List of Experts on Water Seepage Investigation
      https://www.hkis.org.hk/en/experts.html?category=1

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5