Like Tree6Likes

Old building, no ringer or doorbell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

installing pvc / plastic cable is dumb and illegal, in the event of a fire, the low melting point of the plastic means the conduit and or cables tend to sag potentially obstructing the staircase. fire creates smoke, people trying to escape will not be able to see clearly, or see the sagging cables blocking your exit. clipping all the cables with decent metal clips (that don't immediately melt) could save a life.

I used to live in a similar situation, 5th floor walk up, no door bell, only a key operated gate.

So I ended up attaching a key to a small foam block which I threw out of the window at guests or deliveries waiting below.

Cheap and cheerful.

Ellenna and Drunken Master like this.

n78

@JAherbert - calm yourself down! Seriously. No one was planning on pvc and plastic on the internal wall. We are asking for suggestions which you have failed to provide. Just railed on everything else. Must be the rain.

AliT likes this.

n78

This is a hilarious option. Mine is just the code unfortunately for those steel doors. But how did you know people were downstairs (aside from them calling your phone)?

Would this work?

4G Wireless/WiFi Smart IP Video Door Phone Intercom System with Door Lock 32GB Card Doorbell Camera,Support Remote unlock

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33053179770.html

Quote Originally Posted by n78:
    I should be clear: I do not own tools. Duct tape, a stapler and sheer will, have seen me through most crises. This doorbell thing is just the start. A rental fixer-upper. I was lured by the rooftop.
    You think MacGyver walked around with a Makita toolbox? No, of course not. Now you go out there and jerry rig something he would be proud of. Bonus points if you have a mullet and hum the theme song.

Zip ties have always had a firm place in my cupboard, what would we do without them...

n78

Not an Allen key in sight. This looks like something a discerning home(OWNER) would purchase. What is he doing with the tweezers? Thanks Nivek but methinks this one might be a stretch. It also involves reading instructions.....

Quote Originally Posted by n78:
    But how did you know people were downstairs (aside from them calling your phone)?
    Everyone making deliveries these days has your phone number and a phone, your guests should have your number and a phone also, so just let people know it takes you 3 minutes to get downstairs when calling for deliveries.

Just leave the door open. Hong Kong is very safe. So I've heard...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    Just leave the door open. Hong Kong is very safe. So I've heard...
    I remember a couple of years ago thieves would steal those stainless steel security doors if they were left open. Just lifted them off the hinges.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2