Like Tree5Likes

Where to buy wood in Hong Kong

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to buy wood in Hong Kong

Yesterday I spent four hours wandering up and down Canton Road, Shanghai Street, Reclamation Street in Jordan, Yau Ma Tei and Mongkok looking for a shop that sells wood! Okay not just any wood. I am trying to repair a broken chair. I need a new spindle. 16mm diam and a meter or two in length (for spares). In the UK it would be a quick trip to B and Q but I just cannot find any equivalent in HK. I live in the New Territories and really do not like going to HK Island so am focusing on Kowloon side. A couple of shop owners looked at my broken spindle and said "order only". I do not like to order things, I like to look and feel before purchase. Any thoughts? Thanks.

NT? Saikung, axe, problem sorted.

I think most shops that sell wood are to contractors. As such I'm guessing they concentrate on sheets and planks, etc. and not much that's cyclindrical.

Anyway you can google "timber merchant hong kong" and use: https://www.formica.com/en-hk/where-to-buy as quite a few places that sell formica also sell wood.

Let me know how it goes as I'm planning to get some wood for a project I have in mind later.

Its hk island but 182 Wellington st in central sells different moulding, so may have spindles.

Is there a B&Q at the mega box.

Ha ha 'wood', sorry but HK is not a place for 'wood'.

You c.a.n buy timber that is greater than 16mm square but Chris is right that the vast majority of places selling 'wood' are selling sheet ply.

The best place to head to is Tong Mei Road / Tung Chau Street Sitting-out Area
    塘尾道/通州街休憩處

I'm pretty sure they have dowel there, I would have thought they have dowel with a greater diameter than 16mm, the chances of getting 16mm exactly . . . . slim, very very slim .

But if you can get timber greater than 16mm square then all you need to find is a man with a lathe......... and then begins your next battle.

How much are you prepared to pay to have a some timber lathed into a dowel?

The 'order only' advice is likely the best you'll get.

Still, go and have a look, the merchant at the sitting out area takes up almost half an entire city block....

You could do a bit of bodging.

Name:  Bodgers-Camp-5.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  709.2 KB

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodging

Try to call Tung Hing Construction Material Co. in Sai Kung. I don't have the number.

Quote Originally Posted by Timaw:
    In which year?
    Sage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timaw:
    WAS a long time ago

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast