Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By steph. y.

What is exactly on my walls?

What is exactly on my walls?

So I live in a never been lived in Sun Hung Kei apartment and it’s been years since then so I’ve decided to paint but I’m not sure what the heck is on the original walls? It’s not paint but extremely matte and almost dusty in feeling. In Hong Kong the locals call it “fui sui” As known a dust water. Don’t know the proper name. Is it ok to just go ahead and prime and paint over it?

You want to remove the dust and clean the surface before priming. Use TSP.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyVT4vKIcN8

Is it a generic white wash coat?

One thing - check your lease conditions. Sun Hung Kai are tough about this and will get you to restore the apartment to original condition before you leave and this will mean restoring the paint or paying their chosen contractor to do it (expensive!).

Ok I found the name! Apparently it’s a lime paint/ wash because they can’t be arsed to use expensive paint. There are some benefits to it like being ecofriendly, breathable and antifungal maybe but now I have another set of problems like the lime eating away at traditional paint or paints not sticking.
    More research needed.. Never knew there there was something beyond traditional paints..

Thumbs down

You should know by now that the bastard constructors/owners use the cheapest & most shit "paint" that they can get away with just to maximise their profits.

Quote Originally Posted by steph. y.:
    Never knew there there was something beyond traditional paints..
    What you should really say is, I thought modern paints had completely superceded more traditional (and generally inferior) methods. And generally they have, but not entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    What you should really say is, I thought modern paints had completely superceded more traditional (and generally inferior) methods. And generally they have, but not entirely.
    you are correct. Limewash is the traditional method. As you say I am rethinking the modern method is not necessarily better than the traditional method romans used. No VOC, formaldehyde and breathable walls seems good for Hong Kong’s humidity. I will probably stick with A new coat of limewash on top as it’s easiest.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCatalonia:
    You should know by now that the bastard constructors/owners use the cheapest & most shit "paint" that they can get away with just to maximise their profits.
    Lime wash is certainly the cheapest and I was angry but no longer feel that it’s the worst thing. Maybe they know what they are doing the high acidity resists bacteria/fungal growth and is breathable which is important when HK reaches 90% humidity or higher. Also no VOC released over time. I think I will stick with limewash to avoid issues but from a reputable brand like Bauwerk.
    shri likes this.