• 3 Post By shri
  • 2 Post By stanleyliving
  • 1 Post By Sage
  • 1 Post By Sage
  • 1 Post By jgl
  • 1 Post By Sage

Designers / Renovation Project Managers

Closed Thread

Often called a sifu. If 'designer' expect to pay through the nose.

I have used a few but in Sheung Wan not the GC.

For cost: 750 - 1200 / sqft. The more management you do yourself the cheaper you can make it.

hike likes this.

I have a friend who does that kind of thing.

Hod 9026 4719

If you call him, just say Maki Art mentioned him.

hike likes this.

Designer - designs and manages the project and takes a commission on everything they purchase and everyone down the pyramid.

Contactor - Organises the labor and the workers and does the work.

SIFU - Painter carpenter etc...

We have had good work done by starting with a budget and then talking to designers and asking them what they can do for the budget. Usually kitchens and bathrooms will be the most expensive. Built in stuff and wiring can also add up.

jgl, hike and Shiojiri Hiro like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Designer - designs and manages the project and takes a commission on everything they purchase and everyone down the pyramid.

Contactor - Organises the labor and the workers and does the work.

SIFU - Painter carpenter etc...

We have had good work done by starting with a budget and then talking to designers and asking them what they can do for the budget. Usually kitchens and bathrooms will be the most expensive. Built in stuff and wiring can also add up.
    Sifu means Master as we all know.

When your furniture shop building your cabinets asks to speak to your sifu, they mean the man controlling your site, your contractor, the guy you have to speak to, not the guy who screeded the concrete.

Sifu is what I meant, that's why I wrote it.
    hike likes this.

Tom Hisano , Toms & Design Associates. 2838 4299. Have known him many years and he has a great team.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Sifu means Master as we all know.

When your furniture shop building your cabinets asks to speak to your sifu, they mean the man controlling your site, your contractor, the guy you have to speak to, not the guy who screeded the concrete.

Sifu is what I meant, that's why I wrote it.
    The guy who coordinated and directed the workmen that did my place (not the designer) was called by name. The sifus were definitely the painters/plasterers/carpenters.

There was a distinct difference in status between him and the workmen, I doubt he would have appreciated being addressed with the same title.
    hike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    The guy who coordinated and directed the workmen that did my place (not the designer) was called by name. The sifus were definitely the painters/plasterers/carpenters.

There was a distinct difference in status between him and the workmen, I doubt he would have appreciated being addressed with the same title.
    Obviously you call your contractor by name; you'd be a bit of a tool if you said to him "hey, contractor, this door's opening the wrong way round!"

But when you speak to the door supplier about getting another door because the chippy fucked it up, you'll say please speak to sifu (Mr. Lam) to get the frame dimensions.
    hike likes this.

Have used various contractors in the past and still use a couple of them when I renovate my rental properties. Am also using the services of various sifoos for day to day maintenance work.

Locals will usually NOT address the contractor (who is responsible for co-ordinating the workmen's work) as a Sifoo. They will address the contractor by name or surname. (e.g. David, or Mr Tong) and address the other workmen who are at the work site as "Sifoo".

Of course very often one would simply hire the services of a single person (e.g. to change the toilet bowl, to clear drains, to do the painting or rewiring etc). These are people who work independently and are often more experienced, in which case one should include the surname when addressing him e.g. Chan Sifoo.

jgl and shri like this.

Hi just saw your message re seeking a PM/Designer got your home renovation.
    Plse call me on 52166672 Paul and we can perhaps discuss further
    Thnx

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Often called a sifu. If 'designer' expect to pay through the nose.

I have used a few but in Sheung Wan not the GC.

For cost: 750 - 1200 / sqft. The more management you do yourself the cheaper you can make it.
    @Sage, may I get the name and contact details of your sifu? I am assuming your sifu is a contractor?

Would like to do some renovation in my flat to prepare it for rental. My previous contractor sadly passed away years ago so am looking for one that charges reasonable fees for good work. Is your sifu able to make a new bathroom countertop, under-sink cabinet etc? Will also need to replace tile grout, repaint walls, change some doors to sliding doors, etc. I live in the same area (Sheung Wan) so would be great to get your sifu's details if he comes highly recommended. TIA.