Like Tree5Likes

Kitchen Improvements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kitchen Improvements

Kitchen rental renovation

Hi expaters, I am looking for some advice regarding my kitchen as I have zero experience. I am renting but would like to improve my kitchen as much as I can; it is looking fairly battered as it hasn’t been replaced in a long time. I don’t want to ask my landlord to do it because I know my rent will increase.

Ideally I would love to replace the countertop and kitchen sink as these are very old and definitely looking their age. I don’t want to spend a lot of cash given it’s a rental so I’m considering applying the contact adhesive paper that you can get over the backsplash tiles to make those look more modern and fresh and the same with the countertop. Before I go down the contact paper route, does anyone know of somewhere I can get a countertop fairly cheaply e.g. factory prices, as well as a new kitchen sink? I don’t really want to spend more than HKD $1000 in total.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by misshappy26:
    does anyone know of somewhere I can get a countertop fairly cheaply
    IKEA has a good range and can cut to size.

Don't think you can get a countertop for 1K (HKD). There are some countertop contact paper suppliers (and for the back splash too) on TaoBao.. Get a local colleague to help you.

IKEA wait times for custom cabinets in the kitchen are around 2-3 months (as of 5 weeks ago).

Basic metal kitchen sink can be found for 500 and a decent faucet set for another 500.

@flameproof Can’t get both counter and sink for $1k in Ikea

Do consider that LL might ask you to put things back in original condition or you could lose your deposit, even if you think you did an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    Do consider that LL might ask you to put things back in original condition or you could lose your deposit, even if you think you did an improvement.
    yep, that’s why using the adhesive paper would work. Though, I think he would be happy to have a kitchen upgrade for free, it really is very shabby and he’s quite reasonable

Though, I think he would be happy to have a kitchen upgrade for free, it really is very shabby and he’s quite reasonable
    Of course he will be very happy for this free upgrade! He will still deduct it as 'damage' from your deposit though.
    hike, misshappy26, huja and 1 others like this.

Kitchen rental renovation

Hi expaters, I am looking for some advice regarding my kitchen as I have zero experience. I am renting but would like to improve my kitchen as much as I can; it is looking fairly battered as it hasn’t been replaced in a long time. I don’t want to ask my landlord to do it because I know my rent will increase.

Ideally I would love to replace the countertop and kitchen sink as these are very old and definitely looking their age. I don’t want to spend a lot of cash given it’s a rental so I’m considering applying the contact adhesive paper that you can get over the backsplash tiles to make those look more modern and fresh and the same with the countertop. Before I go down the contact paper route, does anyone know of somewhere I can get a countertop fairly cheaply e.g. factory prices, as well as a new kitchen sink? I don’t really want to spend more than HKD $1000 in total.

Thank you!
    I've just tried to do this. The marble countertops sticky papers are not easy. Watched lots of videos of people struggling to cut around the sinks and corners. You can get the paper on Taobao for cheap and have a go.

Did have success with the sticky backsplash tiles. Lots of fun prints on TB.

They also have paper for cabinets if you feel up for another challenge.

Thanks @rani! I think I will struggle too, especially around the sink…

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast