Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By bdw
  • 2 Post By Sage
  • 1 Post By jgl
  • 1 Post By flameproof

Silicone sealant

Closed Thread

Silicone sealant

I’m looking to buy new silicone sealant to replace the old crusty stuff in my kitchen and bathroom; it will go on the section where the wall meets the counter/sink.

I'm unsure of the brands available here specifically, which ones are recommended v ones to avoid. Can anyone recommend a brand of silicone sealant and where I can buy it on HK island, or order online.

I've found Gorilla have a silicone sealant, anyone used it & have any feedback?

thanks!

Last edited by misshappy26; 03-08-2021 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Link

Quote Originally Posted by misshappy26:
    I’m looking to buy new silicone sealant to replace the old crusty stuff in my kitchen and bathroom; it will go on the section where the wall meets the counter/sink.

I'm unsure of the brands available here specifically, which ones are recommended v ones to avoid. Can anyone recommend a brand of silicone sealant and where I can buy it on HK island, or order online.

I've found Gorilla have a silicone sealant, anyone used it & have any feedback?

thanks!

Sounds like you're looking for a level of insight most HK 'pro's' don't even bother with.

Any and every hardware shop in HK sells it. Don't get 'no more gaps' (or 'gap filler') (that's caulk and FYI, caulk and silicon S,. are not the same thing) Just ask for silicone sealant - white, neutral, brown, grey etc, that as far as the conversation goes.

The stuff you get in HK is all designed for internal 'wet' areas. Gorilla is available in a few shops for about 3 x the price of the standard stuff.

However many tubes you buy, there will be a guy coming behind you buying and using 10 x as many of the same stuff - Unless you're a pro ( and have a specific temperature range you must work in) refer back to paragraph 2.
    Last edited by Sage; 04-08-2021 at 12:39 AM.
    East_coast and misshappy26 like this.

All hardware stores carry white silicone sealant.

Some (not nearly as many) hardware stores carry white silicone sealant for wet areas.

Get the second one.

I only specify colour as sealants are also available in clear, but that doesn't seem to be what most people want.

Thompson St in Wanchai has a couple of better stocked hardware stores that probably carry it. Can't vouch for this though as I go over to SSP for hardware.

misshappy26 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    What application do you have for silicone in HK where it won’t get wet?

I have an internal ‘sound proof door’ (basically a glass/aluminium patio door) that separates the front half from the back half of my flat.

A glass balustrade around a stair case? But you live in a flat....

I went to Apliu too and bought one that was "Acetic Acid free" (means no smell) and "Anti-Mold", it was $50 or so for one cartridge. You also need a normal cartridge gun.

Don't buy the cheapest. Make sure you use "Anti-Mold" for anything near sink or in bathroom. Mine was called SL907 (white version) from Korea.

misshappy26 likes this.

Go for the Selleys Wet Area which is available at Japan Home Centre on online at HKTV Mall for $29.

Selleys 犀利牌

https://www.hktvmall.com/hktv/zh/mai...001_S_16004997

flameproof, hike, jgl and 1 others like this.

Thanks everyone for their help! Appreciate all the responses