Like Tree44Likes

Apartment renovations ideas

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    We had a split AC installed a couple years back. Involved digging a channel in the wall to put in the piping, across two walls of the bedroom. Cost was about 5K to do this, and ~6K for the AC, iirc.

This was for a split where the external unit was low enough profile to install in the space occupied by a window type AC, so no scaffolding required (scaffolding is expensive).

I looked at flooring at the same time. I really disliked vinyl floor tiles, because they were hard AF and uncomfortable to walk or stand on. But if you're considering ceramic tiles (which are even harder and less comfortable) then I guess this isn't a concern.

Wood, engineered wood, and even plastic laminates over MDF/HDF are all more comfortable than ceramic or vinyl.
    i would look into that too. planning on going to mongkok tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by bsc1280:
    i would look into that too. planning on going to mongkok tomorrow
    You need to contact the local contractors that are based in DB.

Which estate is your building in?

chianti

i got the contacts from my agent and have spoken to 5-6 contractors that are mostly DB based

getting quotes of around 0.7M + for the stuff I had mentioned
    they would charge 30k for breaking down the kitchen cabinets and washroom vanity(i can do it on my own with a rod )
    ridiculous costs....I then got another contarctors who isnt very fancy but charges in the range I have mentioned above. my friend has used him and he is OK....

Quote Originally Posted by bsc1280:
    they would charge 30k for breaking down the kitchen cabinets and washroom vanity(i can do it on my own with a rod )
    Carting the building waste away is costly in DB.

yes I have heard that. Most of the stuff is actually more expensive that it should be....

one of the contractors showed me some work he is doing in DB
    frankly 75k for kitchen cabinets of plywood. i wasnt impressed with the overall quality. so have decided to use this contractor who needs a bit of hand holding with choosing the stuff. That is why I had asked the questions here....

emx likes this.

1. floortiles.
    Go to mongkok mtr portland street. Loads of tile shops that will quote you per square foot and the seperate cost of the work.

If you are using a contractor, he is going to add his 30 percent.

If the apartment has wooden flooring, could you not just keep it and find a professional to polish / varnish it until it looks new. That would save you a lot of money.

vinyl adhesive tile is also cheaper and fine. I used it in my office. Saves a bundle. You could do the vinyl adhesive and buy some nice persian rugs to put on top of it.

Marble in the living room ....its sliippery with just an ounce of water, hurts a bundle if the kids fall on it, and might stain if you spill something on it. ( my rented bathroom has a nasty brown stain from rust or hair dye on a beautiful slab of marble that I cannot remove.)

If you do want to put hardwood flooring...I would suggest two feet width of tiles near the balcony first, then the hardwood flooring. Past experience of storm water coming in and damaging the wooden parquet floor because it went right next to the balcony door.

2. Kitchen
    Save your money of living in a demolition zone. Put nice adhesive tape on the cabinet doors or paint them, install a copper / stainless steel wall, invest in changing the taps, and may be give new floor tiles. Why bother ripping out the kitchen if its still standing ? rather than burn money .

3. customized wardrobes.
    Do it if it is solid wood, and floor to ceiling, otherwise ikea does its job.

I would also suggest a raised flooring platform in your bedroom so that you when you go. in, you have to step up two steps and you would have loads of underthe bed storage.

4. worth investing in the bathroom but get chinese quotes , not expat quotes.

5. sliding doors (done that ) save space but doesn't block out the sound. Go look at loads of websites ....go look at cool bunk beds ....local ones are kind of very much the same.

6. aircon yes...invest in split aircon.

you could also have a raised platform in the living room which is super cool and again gives you more space.

Yeah, that's a good point above. Raised flooring gives you decent amounts of storage space. It's not cheap though, and accessing is a pain in case you need to move furniture (so it only works as longer term storage, not every day access).

Would also second the suggestion of checking "hikes" recent posts, he's been doing renovating. Had a thread about buying ceiling fans just the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaurs88:
    1. floortiles.
    Go to mongkok mtr portland street. Loads of tile shops that will quote you per square foot and the seperate cost of the work.

If you are using a contractor, he is going to add his 30 percent.

If the apartment has wooden flooring, could you not just keep it and find a professional to polish / varnish it until it looks new. That would save you a lot of money.

vinyl adhesive tile is also cheaper and fine. I used it in my office. Saves a bundle. You could do the vinyl adhesive and buy some nice persian rugs to put on top of it.

Marble in the living room ....its sliippery with just an ounce of water, hurts a bundle if the kids fall on it, and might stain if you spill something on it. ( my rented bathroom has a nasty brown stain from rust or hair dye on a beautiful slab of marble that I cannot remove.)

If you do want to put hardwood flooring...I would suggest two feet width of tiles near the balcony first, then the hardwood flooring. Past experience of storm water coming in and damaging the wooden parquet floor because it went right next to the balcony door.

2. Kitchen
    Save your money of living in a demolition zone. Put nice adhesive tape on the cabinet doors or paint them, install a copper / stainless steel wall, invest in changing the taps, and may be give new floor tiles. Why bother ripping out the kitchen if its still standing ? rather than burn money .

3. customized wardrobes.
    Do it if it is solid wood, and floor to ceiling, otherwise ikea does its job.

I would also suggest a raised flooring platform in your bedroom so that you when you go. in, you have to step up two steps and you would have loads of underthe bed storage.

4. worth investing in the bathroom but get chinese quotes , not expat quotes.

5. sliding doors (done that ) save space but doesn't block out the sound. Go look at loads of websites ....go look at cool bunk beds ....local ones are kind of very much the same.

6. aircon yes...invest in split aircon.

you could also have a raised platform in the living room which is super cool and again gives you more space.

Thanks so much @dinosaurs88.

1. Are there any shops which would have some brochures or photos on how the tiles or the adhesive tape look like once it is used? it is very difficult to see how these would look like otherwise.

the current floor is not wooden. it is the material shown in this photo. what is it?

https://www.squarefoot.com.hk/en/pro...ion/102270755/

I don't really like this floor and would want something which is lighter in color.

2. For kitchen, I am very tempted to try the way you have mentioned. The link above also has photos on the kitchen cabinets.
    How many years do these cabinets last? as the apartment is already 15 years old.

I would ideally want to convert these cabinets with a glossy white finish if possible. Can that be done with existing cabinets intact?

Also, I want to put a larger fridge in there want to cut out one or 2 cabinets to make the space ?

3. I would check in mongkok tomorrow. Any recommendations on where these wardrobe shops are.

4. this is a handyman who has quotes 55k including dismantalling the existi tiles and adding in the new ones

5. any recomendations on how to do a better sound proofing

6. i do plan to do that. ist 14-15k quiote per room ok? including teh aircon and the installation cost of replacing window ac with split

thanks again

Those are wooden floors, just not the type you are used to in Europe.

See if you can find someone to sand it down and paint it another colour, then put the polish on. See if that is a possiblity.

A friend who had a 580 sf property had all the floorboards lifted and replaced and that was $40K for the cheapest wood.

With your contractor, do you have a timeframe as in when the work will be completed ? A lot of contractors start a job and then disappear for a while

It really depends on your priorities. Do you need to do a mas renovation right away and spend lots of money or could you do it later ? If yes, then go ahead. Or may be just move in with what you have, get a feel for the flat and then do it. I feel like you are rushing to renovate and that could be very expensive.

It's just wood, with a massively thick and glossy protective layer (PU?) over the top of it.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast