Like Tree5Likes

Ungodly Hard HK Walls for Drilling Holes

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ungodly Hard HK Walls for Drilling Holes

Hi,

Using a 450W Black & Decker hammer drill and there is no way in hell to drill a hole more than a few mm in the walls in my flat. Had the same problem in my old flat. Back then I thought it was the drill bit and bought a new one - same problem. And yes it is a masonry drill bit. Current building is 60 years old, if that says anything.

What is the solution here? Get a more powerful drill?

TIA

Last edited by Crankshaft; 16-11-2021 at 07:38 PM. Reason: more info

If its an ok drill bit and if you've actually got the hammer function turned on(?) then my money is on the hammer function of the drill being too weak or broken. A proper HK man's drill is an “SDS” type where the hammer motion is separately powered rather than just a clutch mechanism (which is almost certainly what the Black and Decker has).

But I'm surprised you can only get a few mm so I wonder if the hammer is off/broken entirely...

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    If its an ok drill bit and if you've actually got the hammer function turned on(?) then my money is on the hammer function of the drill being too weak or broken. A proper HK man's drill is an “SDS” type where the hammer motion is separately powered rather than just a clutch mechanism (which is almost certainly what the Black and Decker has).

But I'm surprised you can only get a few mm so I wonder if the hammer is off/broken entirely...
    It definitely sounds different when on hammer mode, but does little to nothing more than when on normal mode. Just read up on SDS and now I wish I had one. Don't want to buy one for just a few holes. If there is anyone here willing to lend me one (for a fee) then please message me.

You need to be giving the drill a decent push to get it started (hammer mode), it may take a minute or two to get a decent bite, but once you do, its just another minute and it will be done.

Waste of time to be using normal mode on a concrete wall.

* I am using a sad IKEA hammer drill!

Last edited by emx; 16-11-2021 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    You need to be giving the drill a decent push to get it started (hammer mode), it may take a minute or two to get a decent bite, but once you do, its just another minute and it will be done.

Waste of time to be using normal mode on a concrete wall.

* I am using a sad IKEA hammer drill!
    Such a patient soul.

It's a waste of time to be using that crappy IKEA drill at all.
    Last edited by Sage; 16-11-2021 at 08:50 PM.

Hammer drill. A proper one.

Bog standard drill with the 'hammer' function and a masonry bit does jack.

Hammer drill with a proper hammer drill bit (has a slidey bit where it fits into the drill so the bit is held quite loosely) will go through a HK wall like a blowtorch through butter. You have to be careful not to go through the entire wall.

Name:  92527-5pcs-Hammer-Drill-Bit-tools-ferramentas-SDS-Shank-Electric-Set-SDS-PLUS-Rotary-Hammer-Impa.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  185.5 KB

When I had same problem, I just rented a big arse hammer drill from some dodgy looking hardware store on Ap Liu street for $50 a day. Actually I paid $1000 for a used drill which I just picked at random from a big mountain of drills they had, then brought it back the next day and they refunded me $950. They didnt speak english but with hand signals etc we could negotiate a successful deal .

jgl and calmathetic9 like this.

Thanks for the replies.
    @bdw cool, I might just try that!

I had a weak ass drill before with a so called hammer function, useless on hard walls. Then I bought a hammer drill, it has one mode, full power. Buy diamond drills and it will chew through your wall like a hot knife in butter.

As mentioned countless times, SDS is the way to go. If you don't want to buy a new drilling machine for 1 hole (fully understandable!) another alternative may be to get a new drill bit. For a hammer machine a new drill bit will work much better than a new one. Another trick is to drill a smaller hole first, than the bigger one - but be careful that the 2nd isn't getting stuck in the hole.

Also, get 'Fischer' type fastener, not those green or red types. They don't hold well and very hard to remove if you want to remove them eventually.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast