Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dinosaurs88

How do I get the HKID of a dodgy electrician subcontractor

Closed Thread

How do I get the HKID of a dodgy electrician subcontractor

I want to take a cowboy electrician to the small claims tribunal but I don't know his HK ID or who he is.

The estate agent introduce a decorator and an electrician, to do a instant hot shower installation. During the process I asked at least 3 times for them to confrim that he is a EMSD licensed electrician and I wanted to see his registration number. They said the day he is on site he would provide that without a problem.

On the day I arrived late and the sockets where dismantled, I asked the guy to stop working and show me his EMSD license. The guy left, he said he was going to get it. An hour later, he sent a photo of an EMSD license to the decorator. I asked for a copy as I wanted to check who he is, are there any complaints against him/his company. The decorator said I could not have his number or check on him, and that I should trust them.

The guy has not come back, all the electrics are hanging out and I've not check if anything is "live".left the circuit breaker board opened, cables hanging out of the ceiling, switches opened sockets, false ceiling panels opened,

Before I get the next electrician in I want everything back in place as it was, otherwise the next electrician could complain and charge me. We are paying the decorator.

He will be in our flat later this week, should I call the police and get his HKID, or get him to get the Electrician on site? How does one handle this?

Is doing work on the circuit breaker by unlicensed contractors illegal?

This guy didn't know his stuff. Didn't use ducting, didn't use the right wiregage for the load. We got new licensed electrician came in and ripped out the other guys "lighting grade" cabling and installed some AWG10 or 12's. He and I were laughing about the cable thickness cowboy was installing. This electrician installed cable ducting for the wiring. This guys cost HK$200 more than the cowboy.

The worse thing is that many of these "electrician uncles" go off to do structured network cabling. When you go and do the Cat5e/6/6A cabling certification and fail half of the installation and they have to redo half of the office, there is big boo-hoo's.....
    Many companies with shit cabling, sit there wondering with "the old office Internet was better".....

The guard will have registered the dodgy electrician's ID. However, under privacy laws you are not entitled to it.

What should do is to email the relevant ESMD department explaining what happened, show videos, and photos, and give them the man's telephone number and name. Also, give the name of the agent who introduced him. Tell them that he logged in with security and they have his HKID number.

Then call up ESMD and tell them to come an immediately inspect the installation. When they see they can I think ask for the HKID.

They will chase up this person and take appropriate action and check the safety of it. But you got to email, phone, stress urgency etc...

HSY likes this.

Did this guy just leave cables carrying residential AC draped loosely in a false ceiling?

I feel like giving your estate agent a good smack on the head. Good that you got things fixed :P

You don’t need his HKID to file a claim through Small Claims, but you do need a name and address. You can put down the name and address of your estate agent in your report/claim to force agent to look him up. The court registrar office will deal with his identification on the day of call over.

Another way of doing it, is to call the police to report property damage when he’s there. The police will say it’s a civil matter but they’re allowed to conduct ID checks. Through that report, you will be able to know his name to take him to SCT.

I just read your post again.

I have another angle.

He misrepresented to you that he was a licensed electrician by saying that he will show you on the day. Based on that he gained entry to your home. Isn't misrepresentation a crime ?

If it was me, I would go down to the police station and file a report for misrepresentation and damage etc. Give his telephone number and the agents number to the police to give them a call. Even if the police say its nothing to do with them, at least you have a report number. Small claims will take donkey years if you want him to pay back.

It is these dodgy electricians that can cause serious loss of life and iinjury .