Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 2 Post By emx

Rim Cylinder Lock replacement

Rim Cylinder Lock replacement

I can not find the key to one of my gate locks, so removed the cylinder lock from the gate and wondering where best to look for a replacement.

Can I just buy the rim cylinder part, instead of replacing the whole thing?

Name:  rim cylinder locl.png
Views: 297
Size:  166.9 KB
    Name:  rim cylinder lock 2.png
Views: 296
Size:  161.5 KB

We have bought these cylinders from TaoBao for door locks.

emx likes this.

Forgot to add.. Check the local hardware store near you. Ours sells them for 3x taobao proce.

emx likes this.

There are kits to rekey the lock cylinder. They are inexpensive but it takes patience, good eyesight, and a deft touch to do it. I've done it in the past but at this point I just take the cylinder to the locksmith and have him do it for a few bucks.

If you are going to the trouble of taking apart the lock and replacing the cylinder, you might consider a smart lock that you can open with code typed into a key pad and/or fingerprint reader. Some also will open/close using your smartphone. The advantage of smart locks is you can give temporary access to certain people with unique codes.

I had smart locks installed but you need to drill to the exact specification. Which is not hard because they give you a paper template to do it on the door. My case was the contractor was too lazy to read the doing manual and installed it upsidedown, so I had to redrill it and it left a big hole which I had to patched it back using wood putty

Got what I needed from the local wet market hardware shop, $40 cheap and cheerful for my application.

Name:  Rim Lock sorted.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  210.4 KB

shri and spode like this.