Like Tree33Likes

Vintage Furniture Rabbit Hole

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Vintage Furniture Rabbit Hole

Just fell down the vintage furniture rabbit hole trying to put my living room together on a budget.

Met a guy who's wife hates old stuff and strong-armed him into selling off a few things and it was my good fortune to be in the right place at the right time.

This little Mid-century Modern wedge-shaped table was designed by a "somebody." Guy sold it to me for Ikea pricing knowing it was worth much (up to 10x) more!
    Name:  PXL_20230123_200115251.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  2.18 MB

Likewise with these funky "Sprite" chairs.
    Name:  Sprite.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  175.3 KB

Won an online estate sale auction for this piece . . . also for essentially Ikea pricing. It's going to need new cushions and possibly refinishing of the wood frame.
    Name:  MCM chair.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  174.8 KB

BCD, jgl, East_coast and 2 others like this.

Don't have too much fun.. I'm thankful that I will never be able to own a proper landed home in HK otherwise I will be one of those junk dealers w tons of chairs & bits of everything in an overflowing shed ;p

Table n Scandi-ish design? armchair is a steal if Ikea pricing.. the upholstery is ghastly but that's my standard reaction to anything too flowery. Someone frm UK might disagree.. Dog will take over your armchair lounge when he gets older..

huja and rkenia852 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Good for you bro

I'll take the dog over any vintage furniture

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeky Kiwi:
    Good for you bro

I'll take the dog over any vintage furniture
    Wife would put my useless ass on the curb with the rubbish before she gave up the dog. No dice, Kiwi.
    Cheeky Kiwi and chuckster007 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sarsi:
    Don't have too much fun.. I'm thankful that I will never be able to own a proper landed home in HK otherwise I will be one of those junk dealers w tons of chairs & bits of everything in an overflowing shed ;p

Table n Scandi-ish design? armchair is a steal if Ikea pricing.. the upholstery is ghastly but that's my standard reaction to anything too flowery. Someone frm UK might disagree.. Dog will take over your armchair lounge when he gets older..
    The armchair certainly looks Danish MCM, doesn't it? Auction house didn't give many details other than it's MCM and walnut. If it had a manufacturer's label of note, I think the house would have listed it. Or they were just lazy. I think the lack of info is why I was able to win the auction at such a low bid. We'll see. It may be a piece of crap when I see it in person.

Name:  PXL_20230126_162935548.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  3.06 MB
    Name:  PXL_20230126_162957224.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  3.00 MB
    Name:  PXL_20230126_163007614.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  1.91 MB

Chair looks good except for the one leg. Nothing that can't be fixed, though. I suspect that chair was next to a door or something that nicked it every time it was moved. The cushions are completely shot. The covers are in bad shape as well. I'm picking out a pattern for the covers now.
    blueagles likes this.

Just ordered this fabric for new covers . . .

This fabric is just like large scale bubble wrap. Perfect for upholstery, pillows and purses. Super cool, don't miss it. Chocolate Chip colorway is a chocolate brown on black
    Name:  1210_Designtex_choco_d.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  136.9 KB

Square peg round hole but yet it goes Name:  IMG-20230121-WA0007.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  1.2 KB
    I think that fabric complements the (disputed) coffee table..

These look incredibly gd condition for 2nd hand..and that was fast. If I had to get cushions done, it'll be a week of asking ard, then post online asking for contacts, which invariably will point to some shop in sham shui po..

New acquisition. Likely early 1960's. Shade and cord original. Wood needs refinishing. Shade is a bit beat up. I spent a good bit of time and energy polishing the brass.

Name:  messages_0 (15).jpeg
Views: 436
Size:  461.0 KB

rkenia852 and blueagles like this.

Where can I find these rabbit holes and auction sites?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast