Like Tree28Likes

Sulphur/eggy smell from kitchen sink

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by dave_van_damn:
    Right - I was reporting back after being advised to try this.

Anyway, smell is now coming from bathroom and that has a u-trap on the outside of the building.

The ground floor landlord has written a letter to all tenants explaining that the Drainage Services Department inspected the drainage saying “the connector was unusually narrow” (google translated the letter) and that a notice will be sent to landlords to pay for reconnecting “into the sewage canal” - whatever that means.

My landlord doesn’t want to have any work done (shock) because our building is ear marked for redevelopment as part of the government’s flower market scheme. Of course, she has no problem charging us full price rent in light of this news, but I digress….
    I offered to fix it for you....

The U-trap on 'the outside of the building' is too far away from your sink (and washing machine outlet) to be effective enough.

Your issue is separate from what the letter is describing - You were told the solution to your problem as soon as I got you to post photo's back in post 9 . . you know what to do:

Get the work done, pay the man, deduct it from your rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelensky2:

The U-trap on 'the outside of the building' is too far away from your sink (and washing machine outlet) to be effective enough.
    That outside U-trap is connected to the bathroom, not the kitchen. The bathroom smell only appeared this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelensky2:
    I offered to fix it for you....

Your issue is separate from what the letter is describing - You were told the solution to your problem as soon as I got you to post photo's back in post 9 . . you know what to do:

Get the work done, pay the man, deduct it from your rent.
    Yes, I know you did - and I appreciate the offer and that’s what I intend to do but it’s complicated.

The landlord has us by the nuts because we pay 6 months rent in advance and our next payment won’t be till October. I’m not entirely sure that she will want us to stay after October (*) and I’m too stubborn to pay for the work and not have her reimburse me, so I’m trying to convince her to pay for the repairs now!

In terms of us packing up and moving, it’s tricky because like I said we’ve paid 6 months rent already and wife is 7 months pregnant so not easy for us to just leave right now.

ANYWAY - I’m hoping she’ll agree to the repairs and pay. She’s normally very reasonable but she’s pissed off about this because she believes it’s the responsibility of the restaurant downstairs. If she doesn’t agree I will just pay to have it done and hope we can continue staying here after October so I can deduct it from the rent.

(* because our building is going to be redeveloped there’s compensation involved. She’s moaned a few times that she’d be entitled to more compensation if she wasn’t renting to us and so I’m wondering if she’s gonna kick us out in order to try to claim more compensation but that’s another issue…!)

Edit : attached the letter for what it’s worth and the translation below:

“Recently, sewage has been poured into the house three times in a row, flooding the groundwater, and causing odors to flow into the units above, seriously affecting public health and safety.

The relevant departments of the Drainage Services Department sent personnel to conduct an inspection on May 24 and found that the main reasons were as follows

1. The main sewers connecting each floor of the building have been incorrectly connected to the Drainage Services Department’s stormwater drains for a long time, and the connection openings are narrower than normal.

2. There are residents on the floor who often mistakenly throw garbage and debris, especially toilet paper and sanitary napkins, into the toilet tray and flush them away. This causes the sewers of the building to be seriously blocked every few months, and also allows odors to enter through the drains. Upstairs unit.

Drainage Services Department staff stated that if the situation does not improve, building owners may be required to reconnect the misconnected sewers to the Drainage Services Department's main sewers in the future. At that time, each floor of the building will need to share a huge engineering cost.

This is a special letter to all owners and residents, please be sure to use the kitchen and toilet correctly and do not put or flush away large items that are difficult to dissolve.

Thank you to the neighbors for your cooperation. I wish the neighborhood is harmonious and everyone can live and work in peace and contentment!”
    Last edited by dave_van_damn; 31-05-2024 at 08:02 PM.
    Zelensky2 likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4