Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By wasjuanalias
  • 1 Post By flameproof
  • 1 Post By huja
  • 1 Post By shri

Cordless Screwdriver & Drill

Cordless Screwdriver & Drill

Any recommendations on a cordless screwdriver.with light drilling functions.

Bosch do good small models. I had one which I thrashed for 8 years and is still going strong, and I haven't needed to replace batteries. You didn't ask for hammer drill function, but these do a passable job cutting into HK shitty concrete walls should you need to hang a picture. Light enough to hold 'overhand' to use as a screwdriver as well. Also comes in a cardboard box so you don't have to store a silly blow-moulded case if you don't wish to. There were plenty on offer on Reclamation Street when I was there last in 2022.

ArrynField likes this.

Bosch green, Bosch blue, Makita - all are good.

I am not aware of small machines with SDS function. So a hole in a wall may take a little time. Same have a hammer function, that's better than nothing. Use it combined with a brand new drill bit. Or have some and go bigger, 4, 6, 8 etc.

ArrynField likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    Any recommendations on a cordless screwdriver.with light drilling functions.
    what do you want to drill?

For drilling only light stuff required.

For concrete, I have a corded hammer drill

The thing to keep in mind is you are buying a battery standard rather than a tool or two. Stick with one brand so you can swap out the batteries.

If this is truly a use-only-twice-a-year thing, you could go as cheap as the drill Ikea offers.

ArrynField likes this.

Does anyone know whether this is likely to be any good? Is it the high quality one or a cheap Chinese knockoff, where the bits are so cheaply made that they won't fit in any ordinary screws?
    https://www.temu.com/1-set-28-in-1-p...278_9ktb88iyy3

Better of buying a Xiaomi than some random widget from Temu.

ArrynField likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    The thing to keep in mind is you are buying a battery standard rather than a tool or two. Stick with one brand so you can swap out the batteries.

If this is truly a use-only-twice-a-year thing, you could go as cheap as the drill Ikea offers.
    What Huja said.

For people who own more than one battery powered tool (mostly several - mostly pro's) in HK there are basically 2 platfoms that are used: Makita and Devon.

Devon are significantly cheaper, Makita are better quality for the pro.

Go for Devon if you wan't something good.

If you want something really cheap, you can get tonnes on the market at a really, really low price.

Shit quality but good enough for you?....Probably.

So it is never the case that the Temu product is the same? Temu is always a cheap copy of someone else's quality product?