wet light switch and shock.....

Closed Thread

wet light switch and shock.....

Im posting here in case an electrician can answer my question... I was cleaning my light switch in with cif as they are badly stained and obviously the sponge was damp and some water got into the switch ( yeah i know stupid thing to do but its done...) and i got a shock. clearly only a small one as i can still do stuff !! however will the switch just dry out and then be OK ?? and is there a way to test if it is OK without sticking my finger on it ??

Yes, it should be OK when it dries out. You could, with care, use a hair dryer or similar to dry it (not so close/hot that the plastic melts!)

Now you know why bathroom light switches are outside the bathroom (or on strings)!

For future reference, you should turn of the lighting circuit in the fuse box before doing this sort of cleaning in future (and also make sure it is dry before reconnecting the circuit). Rubber gloves would have prevented you from getting a shock as well.

Last edited by PDLM; 25-07-2009 at 01:41 PM.

e; f; b;

Usually switches are well isolated from the power so you might want to consider replacing or rewiring it.

Last edited by MrMoo; 25-07-2009 at 01:51 PM.

PDLM - thank you. think i will just leave it to dry itself...... rubber gloves would have made my nails happier to
    Will investigate where the lighting box is before doing the rest of them. nearly put an abrupt end to my cleaning frenzie !!!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Now you know why bathroom light switches are outside the bathroom (or on strings)!
    It's always surprising in the US when the light switches are inside a bathroom and on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    It's always surprising in the US when the light switches are inside a bathroom and on the wall.
    u mean just like mine here? and in australia? and in nz?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    u mean just like mine here?
    It''s UK law, and presumably in HK law that bathroom light switches must be outside or suspended from a cord.