Like Tree1Likes

Painting the whole house

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Thanks for the clarification - I did not get that from the first (2 or 3) reads of cookie's post, but finally did!

I certainly would not pay 60k for painting. We get our boat done regularly - this is outside painting and difficult access - and it's more like 5k+cost of paint for several layers, including all the time taken to tape around the various (numerous) railings etc etc.
    yup 6000 sqf @ 10HKD/sqf = 60k. that's what i tried to say.

and dtb is right, such a price would include clearing of old paint, redoing the foundation, leveling out, water-sealing (if any), etc. i would think that one only does all this when doing a complete redecoration of the whole place (including possible some electrical and piping work that damages the outer wall layers)

i guess it's really the question what the OP has in mind. I would not be surprised if he didn't know exactly what he needed and the contractor simply quoted the highest possible, waiting for renegotiation

Quote Originally Posted by dtb:
    It really depends on the work they quoted. If it is merely repaint over the old one, this is really way too expensive. However, if the job involves clearing the old paint, re-do the foundation and water-seals, painting 3 coats of paints etc, then it is not too bad at all.

Yes this is what I believe they are going to do. Remove the old 'paint'. fix some cracks and do few layers of proper paint

Its actually 2 floors house with very high ceilings downstairs.
    Apple and dog sorry I need someone proffesional to do this its not only covering the old paint.
    I just wanted to know if this price is reasonable and I did ask a quote from another company as well to compare.

Thanks a lot though