universal suffrage

Closed Thread

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

universal suffrage

I would like to know how to say 'Universal Suffrage' in Cantonese.
    If you can also manage a gif file showing the characters that would be great

States have granted (and revoked) universal suffrage at various times:
    (in chronological order)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_suffrage

thundering silence

I have it on the best authority that scholars down Peking way have begun contemplating the difference between the 'u' in "universal' and the 'u' in "suffrage". Our betied CS Donald fully expects to have a report in by 2016, when the next stage will start in the consultative process, possibly to see if there is a need for another 'n'

In the meantime our tiresome troop of tycoons do their best to entertain us.

http://hongkong.scmp.com/hknews/ZZZ4RYZKXRD.html
    [dont bother if you haven't paid]

excerpts...........

Stop rocking the boat, say business leaders

Business tycoons in Hong Kong yesterday lashed out at pro-democracy politicians, warning Beijing's tolerance of their demands for universal suffrage in 2007 was wearing thin.

They spoke up after Qiao Xiaoyang, deputy secretary-general of the National People's Congress Standing Committee, this week affirmed the business sector's role in the city's political system.

ord=Math.random();ord=ord*10000000000000000000;doc ument.write('');chootRonnie Chan Chi-chung (right), chairman of Hang Lung Properties, said Beijing had been very tolerant and, by testing its limits, the pro-democracy groups had brought about the current situation.

"Do you think if you are bringing more people on the street, [Beijing is] going to back off? No way. Hong Kong people will only limit our own sphere of possibility," he said.

Vincent Lo Hong-sui, chairman of Shui On Holdings, said improving the business environment and protecting human rights and freedom were what mattered. "Some foreigners experienced in politics told me the best system is benevolent dictatorship," Mr Lo said. Still, he said it was not wrong to aspire to greater democracy.

The Business and Professional Federation Mr Lo chairs said aspiring chief executives should announce their candidacies and cabinets this year so people could evaluate their platforms. Chan Wing-kee, chairman of the Chinese Association of Manufacturers in Hong Kong, warned democrats not to "incite" the public to "play with fire". Lui Che-woo, chairman of the Federation of Hong Kong Hotel Owners, said: "For over 100 years, Hong Kong was never involved in politics ... Why make political reform? The July march upset everyone."

Success!!

Just a few minutes into May day I was asked---"So do you support one man one vote?" The questioner being from so far north of us that my hopes were raised-

and yes I finally know how to say 'Universal Suffrage' in Chinese, here goes "PU SCHWEN" if spoken with a strong guttural accent, liable to scare the bejesus out of any godfearing stalinist, speaking of which have you heard the latest?..........http://babyurl.com/EmHdi4