• Someone else

2 18.18%
Like Tree4Likes

HK next CE - who will it be?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ex-HK chief secretary admits to affair
    By Roland Lim | Posted: 04 October 2011 1943 hrs

HONG KONG: Former Hong Kong chief secretary Henry Tang has admitted to having an affair with a subordinate in the past.

In a joint-statement issued on Tuesday with his wife, Mr Tang said she had forgiven him.

He added his wife had provided support and encouragement during important stages of his life.

Mrs Tang has admitted there had been difficult times, but said the couple had decided to put the affair behind them.

Mr Tang stepped down as chief secretary last week, paving the way for an expected bid to win next year's chief executive election.

Mr Tang joined the government in 2002 as commerce minister, moving up the ranks to become the chief secretary in 2007.

From Sept 11

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    For the last 5-6 years Henry has looked a shoe-in.

The 'leaks' that he is BJ's favourite seem to have gotten a little too intense recently which makes the sceptic in me feel that the dutiful Mr Tang will make way for the popular(ist) CY.

BJ will declare the HK public can't complain about his leadership as he was not BJ's choice.

If the next 5 years goes well BJ will say the selection process chooses the best candidate if it goes badly BJ will blame democratic meddling.

It really doesn't matter who is at the top these days as the CE seems less powerful than a city mayor of a Tier 1 city. And it would seem that HK is not a top priority for the mainland administration.
    It didn't seem to go to plan as CY lost popularity when it became clear about the game plan not straight forward and the outsider-inside was in fact their choice for quite some time.
    Last edited by East_coast; 25-03-2012 at 09:25 PM.

DAB leader Starry Lee says party could put up its own chief executive election candidate in future | South China Morning Post

Looking at the highly aligned comments saying how great Sarry Lee is and she would make a great CE under any article that mentions her, it would seem she is looking like a favorite for the next 'election'
    Last edited by East_coast; 01-05-2015 at 01:57 AM.
    Cho-man likes this.

DAB leader Starry Lee says party could put up its own chief executive election candidate in future | South China Morning Post

Looking at the highly aligned comments saying how great Sarry Lee is and she would make a great CE under any article that mentions her, it would seem she is looking like a favorite for the next 'election'
    I thought Regina Ip was the lock-on favourite.

As much as I'd like to see a woman at the helm of this, dinky, over crowded, concrete smothered city; I would imagine that it wouldnt be before long that the media and the general public start bagging the next CE out, like they have consistently done with every single one of them to date. The position of CE always ends up being a ' whipping ' boy/girl for the public/media.

Here's an idea, why don't they drape the next CE in multi coloured pretty lights, it will make them ' appear ' interesting, just like HK harbour at night.

Nobody post 1997 handover who has been put in the CE position has been popular with the people in HK. But culturally is that even possible in HK politics, or its government body's ?
    The last person that was put in charge to manage Hong Kongs affairs, that I actually liked and took any notice of, was, Lord Chris Patten (and family). He was a fair dinkum genuine person, which is quite rare in a city that has more facades than a Hollywood movie set...
    Last edited by Skyhook; 01-05-2015 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    As much as I'd like to see a woman at the helm of this, dinky, over crowded, concrete smothered city;
    Not exactly, over 40% of the city's land are country parks, but the new CE may want to smother that with concrete too...

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Not exactly, over 40% of the city's land are country parks, but the new CE may want to smother that with concrete too...
    If I was in a country town ( 3 hours away from any city at all four points of the compass ) in a western country and said, " I am going to the city" would I be referring to the CBD ie the big smoke, or would I be referring to a national park?
    Cho-man likes this.

If I was in a country town ( 3 hours away from any city at all four points of the compass ) in a western country and said, " I am going to the city" would I be referring to the CBD ie the big smoke, or would I be referring to a national park?
    Country parks are part of HK, they fall under the jurisdiction of the city, so they are urban parks in a way...

But yes, you will be lucky to find a single blade of grass in the concrete jungle of Mongkok or Sheng Wan.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 01-05-2015 at 11:34 AM.

So my families 100 acre farm in Oaklands Junction, ( near Tullamarine airport ) 35 minutes drive from the CBD, using the HK interpretation is actually part of the CITY, now...

WOW.... you learn something new, everyday.

Last edited by Skyhook; 01-05-2015 at 11:58 AM.
    Cho-man likes this.

So my families 100 acre farm in Oaklands Junction, ( near Tullamarine airport ) 35 minutes drive from the CBD, using the HK interpretation is actually part of the CITY, now...

WOW.... you learn something new, everyday.
    Glad you are learning something, ain't that what geoexpat for?

Besides, I don't recall anyone saying Sai Kung country park or Lantau country park as not part of Hong Kong...

Sorry, I was just being a little snarky there . I agree in urban areas of HK you will be hard pressed to find much in the way of greenery..although that greenery is actually quite close to the concrete jungle. For example, right above Sheung Wan (where you won't find much in the way of open space or anything except concrete) is the Peak which has plenty of greenery.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 01-05-2015 at 12:08 PM.