Paternity Leave

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Paternity Leave

Maybe coming to Hong Kong, at least for the civil service, in a few years time. See news.gov.hk

Don't think there was much else of interest in the policy address.

Hemlock has a summary of the highlights.

Last edited by drumbrake; 12-10-2011 at 07:46 PM.

It says the government is "promoting ageing at home". Do you age at different rates at home or outside?

It's high time they provide a few days for fathers indeed,

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    It's high time they provide a few days for fathers indeed,
    I disagree - it's high time that the whole concept of companies having to support the production of children be gone. It made some sense when maternity leave was first introduced and countries needed to produce lots of children to go off and fight wars, but the world (and Hong Kong in particular) is FULL. We don't need any more kids than will happen by accident or from people who can afford to have them. I object strongly to subsidising people to have children through my taxes or through the price of goods and services that I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I disagree - it's high time that the whole concept of companies having to support the production of children be gone. It made some sense when maternity leave was first introduced and countries needed to produce lots of children to go off and fight wars, but the world (and Hong Kong in particular) is FULL. We don't need any more kids than will happen by accident or from people who can afford to have them. I object strongly to subsidising people to have children through my taxes or through the price of goods and services that I buy.
    May apply to some jobs, but in my field it makes more economic sense for employers to pay us to take longer maternity leave (4 plus months on average) just so we will come back to our jobs after maternity leave. In many cases it is less expensive to pay for maternity leave than to replace a skilled employee who, god forbid, decides to have a baby.

Fair enough - but it should be up to individual companies to make that call. Governments shouldn't mandate it.

No rubber and vacation time? Does life get any better?

Population Control in Hong Kong is pretty effective, most people cannot move out and get a place, live with their parents andto think of having a kid is a luxury for most locals.

Women over 30's who are professionals will not get married to a male that is socially lower then them, while their male peers are having all the fun at LKF/Wan Chai and not settling down and breeding.

This incentive is great for those who do accidently/plan to have kids.

Quote Originally Posted by aliendavid1:
    This incentive is great for those who do accidently/plan to have kids.
    Indeed it is, but it's not so great for the rest of us who have to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:

I knew this would raise the old debate but spare a thought for those (majority) who work 6 days a week and have 10 days annual leave. I guess giving them 2/3 days paternity leave isn't going to kill the HK economy.

+ as I gather you stopped working so you do not pay tax.

True, so if the Government pays for it that won't affect me directly at the moment. But if they require private companies to pay for it then it affects anyone who buys those companies' products or services.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast