Like Tree90Likes

Expats have done little to benefit city

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Funny. Most HK people don't pay tax. Most, if not all, expats make enough money to pay tax. So our tax dollars are not benefitting the city then? And the millions we spend in the retail sector? What a silly letter.
    I'm not so sure about the "all" expat part, I know more than a few expats who don't make enough to pay taxes...and I don't think you should take the letter so seriously...
    virago likes this.

If expats are failures back home but still taking the good jobs and high pay over the locals; by implication the writer is suggesting that the locals must be even more shit than the expats.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile

virago, dear giant, WMDS and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Funny. Most HK people don't pay tax. Most, if not all, expats make enough money to pay tax. So our tax dollars are not benefitting the city then? And the millions we spend in the retail sector? What a silly letter.
    Haven't looked at where the HK government gets its money, but I think income taxes in HK probably a small portion.

I think HK government gets the majority of its money through land sales and various land rates.

I could be totally wrong though.

Edit to add: I think salaries tax amounts to about 16% of overall government revenue. Seems the biggest revenue is profits tax at about 20% and then a bunch of land stuff, followed by other stuff.

So I guess salaries tax, while not the biggest, is a significant minority.

I will go and stand in the corner quietly now.
    Last edited by pin; 04-01-2012 at 12:43 PM.
    virago and dear giant like this.

Maybe Sam and Pierce Lam should mate and produce superior offspring that will re-take this city.

virago, dear giant and drumbrake like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Haven't looked at where the HK government gets its money, but I think income taxes in HK probably a small portion.

I think HK government gets the majority of its money through land sales and various land rates. The point of expats paying income tax is symbolic. While the majority of locals get some kind of government assistance (public housing for example and the 6k handout and various other subsidies), the majority of expats don't rely on any assistance but rather go to their generally high paying jobs and pay their taxes.

I could be totally wrong though.

Edit to add: I think salaries tax amounts to about 16% of overall government revenue. Seems the biggest revenue is profits tax at about 20% and then a bunch of land stuff, followed by other stuff.

So I guess salaries tax, while not the biggest, is a significant minority.

I will go and stand in the corner quietly now.
    Indeed. Land sales/auctions are a major source of revenue.
    virago likes this.

I just made my contribution. I'm going to flush the toilet now lol

virago, Dreadnought and justjoe86 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklynexpat:
    I just made my contribution. I'm going to flush the toilet now lol
    Actually you could make a contribution and open a proper Pizza place instead of complaining on this website.

I think Spike on his blog Hongkietown was pretty spot on:-

"This is not an example of reasonable public debate over issues. This is hate-mongering, pure and simple."

virago and dear giant like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Actually you could make a contribution and open a proper Pizza place instead of complaining on this website.
    The only proper pizza joint is Paisano's. They make authentic NY-style pizza. Brooklynexpat knows this.

I did enhance the competitiveness of my own country, (admittedly it might have been by leaving...!)......Maybe he's talking about Shri and this place? What am I on about?

Last edited by bryant.english; 04-01-2012 at 02:45 PM.
    Satay Sue and virago like this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast