Like Tree90Likes

Expats have done little to benefit city

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Maybe "Sam Wong" might be more accurate to say only a subset of expats don't benefit the city, specifically those geoexpat posters hehehe....

Maybe Sam Wong should get out of his house more and meet some expats....all of the ones I know, contribute greatly to this city.

contributions are not always monetary.

There are the hard-working tutors & teachers helping kids learn proper/better English so they can go on to higher education and better jobs in the future. The ambitious entrepreneurs, starting and growing their businesses & restaurants. The professionals, doctors, lawyers etc all doing their thing for HK. The numerous volunteers out there trying to help HK people for the various charities for which they work. The foreign domestic helpers, without whom many HK people and expats alike would not be able to be out in the work force.

I don't see many "leeches" in HK, of any persuasion.

dear giant likes this.

First of all and just to trash Sammy's point, Foreign Domestic Helpers are expat....so...

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    Maybe Sam Wong should get out of his house more and meet some expats....all of the ones I know, contribute greatly to this city.

contributions are not always monetary.

There are the hard-working tutors & teachers helping kids learn proper/better English so they can go on to higher education and better jobs in the future. The ambitious entrepreneurs, starting and growing their businesses & restaurants. The professionals, doctors, lawyers etc all doing their thing for HK. The numerous volunteers out there trying to help HK people for the various charities for which they work. The foreign domestic helpers, without whom many HK people and expats alike would not be able to be out in the work force.

I don't see many "leeches" in HK, of any persuasion.
    I completely agree with you, but somehow I get the feeling that "Sam Wong" actually knows all this already but just wrote that letter to test how many expats will take his letter seriously...you can call him a SCMP "letter troll" if you like .
    Satay Sue and dear giant like this.

Again, exactly what I thought and why I think it's silly to even try to reason or make a point to him.

Dear Sam,

Respectfully yours,
    The Expat Community

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Dear Sam,

Respectfully yours,
    The Expat Community
    Respectfully, or disrespectfully...but, yours nonetheless...

Dear Sam,

Respectfully yours,
    The Expat Community

bryant.english likes this.

I almost replied to the letter, but I'm saving my bandwidth to address the ESF subsidy - I am one of the few that is against the government continuing what was essentially a colonial perk.

I am aiming to become the official letter troll at SCMP next week and hopefully beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    I did enhance the competitiveness of my own country, (admittedly it might have been by leaving...!)......Maybe he's talking about Shri and this place? What am I on about?
    That reminds me of a joke my Kiwi buddy told me.

What happens when a Kiwi moves to Australia? The IQ of both countries goes up!
    shri, gunsnroses, WMDS and 1 others like this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast