Like Tree155Likes

Mainland Chinese Televsion: Hongkonger are dogs

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13

Here is a map of my backyard. See down the bottom is a good hiding place to get away from mainlanders,

Last edited by virago; 22-01-2012 at 09:03 AM.

Apparently, the guy in the video was 'misquoted'. From the SCMP:

"A mainland academic who called Hongkongers "running dogs for the British government" denied having said so yesterday, saying media outlets had "maliciously twisted his speech".
    The video, which has angered many Hong Kong internet users, was footage of the Peking University professor Kong Qingdong speaking in an internet talk show on Thursday. "

Quote Originally Posted by ewankho:

"A mainland academic who called Hongkongers "running dogs for the British government" denied having said so yesterday, saying media outlets had "maliciously twisted his speech".
    The video, which has angered many Hong Kong internet users, was footage of the Peking University professor Kong Qingdong speaking in an internet talk show on Thursday. "
    just realised who this guy is (first time I have seen his name on this thread). he is famous in china as a rent a gob. claims to be a direct descendant of Confucius. Google him and the take him less seriously
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:
    just realised who this guy is (first time I have seen his name on this thread). he is famous in china as a rent a gob. claims to be a direct descendant of Confucius. Google him and the take him less seriously
    The fact that he is a 'prominent' professor at supposedly the most prestigious university in China despite his repeated, highly offensive, objectionable words(once he said singaporeans are 'sh#t') in public might just tell us a bit about the 'higher education' quality in Mainland China. If this happened in any other civilised society this guy would have been fired immediately and possibly subjected to legal action.
    Last edited by kittyctc; 23-01-2012 at 04:26 AM.
    Gatts, JaredHK, drumbrake and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ewankho:

The video (at least the one posted by the OP) has been removed by youtube as it is 'hate speech'. The translation that I saw appeared to show him clearly stating the 'running dogs' reference, and the video had not been cut to twist his words.

However, the guy does appear to be a Chinese version of 'Jeremy Clarkson', albeit one from a supposedly top university. In a way it's a shame that youtube has removed the video- having it there to shame the guy would be a good thing.
    dear giant likes this.

I went to Zhuhai recently and this topic came up. Apparently pretty much everyone in China hates this professor too... He has offended many (especially those in the south of china) with all sorts of public speeches aimed to shock. So people using this professor's words as an example of what the average mainlander thinks of hongkongers are off the mark. Basically, most people agree he's an idiot. (Although many of these people may coincidentally dislike HKers too, I wouldn't deny that.)

As for 'locusts' flooding the HK healthcare - Rather than focus on the media spin/ popular opinion, let me give you my experience..

When my daughter was born (Prince of Wales Hospital), there were many mainlanders there. One woman and her family were, indeed, noisy and annoying and overall nasty pieces of work - I'd happily label those particular people 'locusts', and I'm sure that these were the types who also leave without paying their fees etc.. But in our experience, this was the minority - we spoke to a few famlies who had come here (paying a lot of money) either because it was their second child and they didn't want to abort, or because they wanted to provide a better life for their child. They paid their fees and acted civilly and politely in the hospital. How can you blame these people for making such a choice, if they can afford to do so and it is a good choice for their families? In fact, I also felt bad for them because their was an element of apology in the way they explained their situations.

So, taking my experience into account, I'd have to say I don't think it is the mothers coming here to have babies who are to blame. Instead, I think that if it is a problem (which it clearly is if local mothers are struggling to have their own children in a reasonable environment) it needs to be stopped by the government/ authorities - They're making it too easy for people to make such a decision, and it isn't viable to increase hospital demands so dramatically. Of course in cases where people abuse the system - don't pay their hospital fees, take liberties in the hospital, etc... I will join the criticism.

I feel the same way about attitudes towards eastern europeans 'flooding' british jobs (Good for them, especially if they do a better job, as they often do - maybe the people moaning should go and outwork them) and all of us expats flooding HK too! etc. etc. etc.

One thing I can say for sure is that, unless you've judged something directly, it can be a bit too easy to accept sweeping statements made in the news/ by colleagues/ on this forum etc. Quite often I go into a situation braced for utter hell based on stories i've heard, and when I actually see it, I feel differently altogether.

On a lighter note, this pleasant surprise does not extend to 'QUEUES' in the mainland especially for immigration. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! I fought people off with my suitcase recently.

Last edited by justjoe86; 28-01-2012 at 12:04 AM.

Press release from Peking University (via SCMP):

"In a press release posted on its website the university said: "Every teacher and student in Peking University should focus on the development of the nation and ethnicity, care about and support the development of Hong Kong, and handle the cultural differences between Hong Kong and mainland in a rational, peaceful and civilised way."

Ethnicity? Which one, Han? No wonder the Tibetans and Uighurs don't want to be a part of China.

dear giant likes this.

Interesting forum. Having the HKer side of the argument I was keen to explore wider views. Indeed HK needs China yet what I hear is Cantonese people do not want to lose their individuality. It seems that the main issue is a massive increase in migration of mainland Chinese - migration itself can be a good thing but too quickly it may cause issues.

In terms of China diluting populations I see this as true it can be seen by the "planned" migrations of Han Chinese to none Han areas. In my humble opinions China needs to realise that bullying and claiming absolute power does not lead to a happy ending eventually.

Finally, speaking of the economic aspect of China. Eventually it will cease to be export driven and more service focused. This will then require them to rely on others to boost their numbers - albeit a few decades off.

Gatts and dear giant like this.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewwinkler:
    I think that the mainlanders are getting a little bit too cockie. They shouldn't forget that it was the Hong Kongers who first moved their sweat shops to Shenzhen after Mao did his secret deal with Kissinger to destroy the West by exporting most of Western manufacturing jobs to Red China. It was only then that many Western firms who hesitated to destroy their countries' economies had no choice but relocate manufacturing to China or perish. Anybody who uses the eastern KCR line will know how ferral most of those Chinese people are who come to Hong Kong.
    Good point... this is the issue. It is not all Mainland people HK want to keep out, just those who want a free life. If the wealthy business elite relocated to HK then it would be welcomed (and they probably would abide by rules). Next the argument from China about the tourist revenue from the mainland - true but since 80% of the wealth is generally derived from 20% of the population then again this would be the elite and upper classes of China (Pareto's Law) and again not those that are likely to cause issues or stay illegally in HK.

Final moan - China's 1 Country, 2 Systems is becoming more 1 country, 1 system (that you think is 2). For the sake of China I hope they leave it as 2 since it proves a good link between the West and China. I fear trying to unify China under one rule (however unlikely at the moment) could cause them harm to their economy unless they try to unify under democratic rule.

When you talk to alot of Chinese people whom are reasonably wealthy and successful and alot of them travel for work or for play they are scrutinized considerably by foreign governments and they are embarrassed to have to show mortgage titles, homes owned, deposit 50,000RMB into guarantee deposits as well as employment contracts and medical checks.

Hk'ers and other western countries have it easy but a Chinese citizen whom is victimized because of their nationality I can understand why they want more freedom to travel or provide for their children.

The current trend of mainland mothers getting their children born in HK is no more than a loophole which the government needs to fix. No different to tax loopholes or other government legislation that allows people to get around a certain law. If you took this out the of equation then there is alot less that HK'ers complain about (but they will find something...).

Mat and Matt_NT like this.

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13