Like Tree93Likes

Where do you go to get away from Mainlanders?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

I don't go shopping. Problem solved.

Gatts, MovingIn07 and sawtelle like this.

Go to Hong Kong uni. Some of the professors' / faculty offices and lecture rooms actually have signs in simplified Chinese on their doors saying "not a tourist spot"... made me chuckle when someone translated that to me.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Agreed

Only really trying to point out it is a radical and fast change and HK is adjusting well.
    no-one is disputing that visitor numbers are up. the problem with this thread is that you ask about "getting away from" them like they are some kind of sub-class. sounds a little enoch powelly to me.
    Creative83 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:
    no-one is disputing that visitor numbers are up. the problem with this thread is that you ask about "getting away from" them like they are some kind of sub-class. sounds a little enoch powelly to me.
    I would like to add some of you are definitely underestimating the local's ability to separate between events.

Speaking on behalf of locals when the OP is not one is a little too out there especially when the message you're trying to get across generates hatred between citizens. It's what you think locals think based on an MTR incidence and your belief that local's attitude towards mainlander is nothing but poor.

One of these days if you decided to associate with locals, you may give up on biases.
    Last edited by Creative83; 21-01-2012 at 06:00 PM.
    Skyhook and Gatts like this.

locals are so localized that it causes pain located in the location of my lower locale. if only they stopped relocating to this locale the pain would cease to be localized in this location.

also, dirty dogs. where to get them shampooed?

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by subsist:
    Go to Ocean Park...
    you mean CHINA Park?
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    I would like to add some of you are definitely underestimating the local's ability to separate between events.

Speaking on behalf of locals when the OP is not one is a little too out there especially when the message you're trying to get across generates hatred between citizens. It's what you think locals think based on an MTR incidence and your belief that local's attitude towards mainlander is nothing but poor.

One of these days if you decided to associate with locals, you may give up on biases.
    The intent really is not to link an isolated 'youtube' video to all HK people (any news report that references Youtube or Twitter is probably not worth the effort reading).

It was more to try to identify that areas of HK which are changing due to the very recent influx of individual travel permit mainlanders. Some shopping districts are gradually becoming areas focussed on the mainland tourist with lots of handbag, watch, western electronics, mass produced European luxury goods and touts selling properties aimed at mainlanders (this may sound like all HK shopping areas but it isn't).

Therefore I would suggest certain areas of HK are becoming less popular with expats and locals and more popular with our brethren from across the border. If this is true that would suggest HK residents are going to different places in HK that better suit their everyday needs.

So perhaps the title and question should have been more around the effect the huge upswing of mainland tourists is having to various parts of HK rather than jumping to the conclusion local people are going elsewhere to avoid areas that are more suited to Chinese tourists.
    dear giant likes this.

I was on the mtr yesterday (Tung Chung line). A woman got on carrying what looked like a four month old baby in a sling. also had a mid-sized rucksack that was slipping off her shoulder. Nobody offered the woman a seat, even after she nearly fell with a judder of the train.

just her luck I guess that everyone in the carriage were from the mainland (which I made a point of saying to my wife in an exaggerated stage whisper - no-one bit). no way could they have been civilised and rule abiding Hong Kong people.

but wait.... it's the AUSTRALIANS that are racist - wasn't that the declaration in another thread? HK people aren't racist, they just complain about others who are not born in HK. I suppose that's not racist, it's more elitist.

Satay Sue likes this.

Yes, that was the tormented teenager who hates everywhere, especially the "hell-hole" that is Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast