Like Tree302Likes

Roaming gangs of Mainlanders stealing children from Hong Kong shopping malls

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

As far as the news story goes, it was in most of the Chinese language media last week. And mothers are going crazy about it!

The specific incident that kicked it off happened in Harbour City near all the children's shops. Two young guys, early to mid-twenties, tried to pick the little kid up and walk off with her. When the mother confronted them they left the kid and pretty much ran off and wouldn't speak to her. The mother was quick enough to get a very good face picture of the two guys and alerted the security (who predictably screwed up and didn't even make it to the guys to confront them).

May be nothing...but didn't sound like nothing.

Last edited by Alan Partridge; 11-03-2012 at 05:15 PM.
    dear giant, bamboo budge and ID2 like this.

And while nobody confronted them it must have been mainlanders because....they had the mainlander grin on their face? I call this BS until proven otherwise

HowardCoombs likes this.

if the mother confronted them, she may have overheard them speaking.... that usually is a give away as to where they are from...

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    if the mother confronted them, she may have overheard them speaking.... that usually is a give away as to where they are from...
    Mainland Chinese...but I didn't really want to be the one to say it. If I recall correctly the news stories reported whatever they were saying to the kid too along with pictures of the two guys.

That's how the story has been reported in the media. As to factual accuracy of it...I don't know
    Last edited by Alan Partridge; 11-03-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    dear giant likes this.

Future conversation of worried (Hong Kong) mother with kid:

Mom: Remember to eat your lunch box.
    Kid: Hai

Mom: And pay attention in maths class if you don't want to end up like uncle Dum Dum.
    Kid: Hai mama

Mom: And stay away from Mainland Chinese, remember how they look, smell and talk!!!!
    Kid: Haia Haia I knoow Maamiii

bamboo budge likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    Future conversation of worried (Hong Kong) mother with kid:

Mom: Remember to eat your lunch box.
    Kid: Hai

Mom: And pay attention in maths class if you don't want to end up like uncle Dum Dum.
    Kid: Hai mama

Mom: And stay away from Mainland Chinese, remember how they look, smell and talk!!!!
    Kid: Haia Haia I knoow Maamiii
    i'm very glad you are not prone to exaggeration....

Hey, thats not fair. It wasn't me who made "roaming gangs" out of two young looking gentlemen (who may or may not have spoken mandarin)

Wasn't there some stuff being spread wrongly at HK schools a year or so ago also?

There is some basic logic missing here:

How would these roving gangs of mainlanders get a child wanting their mom and dad across the border into China as it not likely the child will be sold here?

Why would they do this in HK where there are far bigger cities and less police presence across the border than here in HK?

HK loves rumours and nothing keeps them going more than posting them on the internet where people don't read the whole event.

If someone was talking about stealing my child in my presence I'd call the police. There is just one issue here, if they were planning to steal a child do you honestly think they'd talk about it in earshot of the parents of the intended victim?

Found what I was looking for on this thread here from March 22, 2010.

Recall this hysteria?

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/71/thread73261.html <<< this turned out to be false but spread as moms got scared and away it went IIRC.

Ocean Park media release - it didn't happen!

http://www.rthk.org.hk/rthk/news/eng..._56_655660.htm

I think parents of young children need to be vigilant at all times regardless of whether this incident is true or not but HK seems to love rumours it seems.

Last edited by Football16; 11-03-2012 at 07:52 PM. Reason: find last rumour of this stuff in hk

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast