Like Tree44Likes

Journalistic ethics questioned at SCMP

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    I don't understand why journalistic ethics at the SCMP are being questioned; it's been years since the SCMP had any journalistic ethics. By "years", I mean since one particular change of ownership.
    What about the SCMP's China reporting, which is very good and often done at personal risk to the reporters? It's very easy to sit here and accuse the entire paper of having no journalistic ethics.
    Mat likes this.

I seem to remember you also gleefully supporting the abolition of cheques, with no thought to how this might affect those people less well-off than you, particularly the elderly, who have no alternate means of sending money. It must have really annoyed you when it was announced that cheques would be staying after all.

Mat likes this.

Not at all, but I don't think that everything long-standing is necessarily obsolete.

Mat likes this.

I believe they are having to cede some ground to online media and some equilibrium will be found, I don't believe they will disappear. Also, unlike you I would not take pleasure if they did -- I think in-depth investigative journalism is essential to maintain a free and fair society, and social media cannot replace it.

an apology of sorts in today's paper. Wang should really hire someone to provide him with media training. handled this terribly, even if there is an argument that he nothing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:
    an apology of sorts in today's paper. Wang should really hire someone to provide him with media training. handled this terribly, even if there is an argument that he nothing wrong.
    While there might have been a legitimate issue regarding censorship, it's the internal office politics/ power struggles in the SCMP that is driving this particular story. That's nothing new for the SCMP lately.

I think this is making a mountain out of a molehill. It was breaking news, it got a 'news in brief'. Next day, big feature on it, followed by several more. The editor can't get everything right all the time, but I see no sinister censorship here.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    What about the SCMP's China reporting, which is very good and often done at personal risk to the reporters? It's very easy to sit here and accuse the entire paper of having no journalistic ethics.
    Didn't the SCMP used to be banned in China? Now in certain cities you can read it freely in hotel's, coffee shops, airport lounges etc. Having no sections redacted for mainland consumption would surely alter editorial judgement.

"Shall we keep that line about XXXXX in for tomorrows edition?"
    "no we can't pull the edition in China as LKS as major advert targeting mainland property buyers for the next 3 days'
    Last edited by East_coast; 23-06-2012 at 03:26 AM.
    dear giant likes this.

Facebook is the ultimate local news service, just I don't trust the editor(s) to seek and publish challenging, interesting and diverse investigative articles. It is all just new babies, cats in trees and party news.

News feeds are useful but having an editor who sifts through and creates / publishes news is probably worth paying for some people.

Last edited by East_coast; 23-06-2012 at 03:30 AM.

I still subscribe to certain periodicals and look forward to them arriving each month. i use tablets ans ereaders too but somwtimes its nicer just to sit down with a magazine or newspaper. i agree with booklogger - a new equilibrium will be found.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks Mobile