Like Tree25Likes

Public housing gone wild

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mid_gen:
    That one drives me mad. I always say Hong Hum these days but it's quite often met with blank stares from westerners. Why would they do it like that???
    Better to pronounce "Hung", as that is closer to how it is pronounced in Cantonese which means "red".
    emmie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Granted and I have come across some of those variations - but you'd think that a journalist writing a piece would do a bit of homework (takes a few secs on Google) to pick the transliteration that is most commonly used
    Wah Fu Estate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, shall we go to Mongkok or was it Wonggok
    No, actually it's Mong Kok, two words.

The only placename in HK in which the Chinese characters are run into one English word, according to government usage, is Fanling.
    TheBrit and emmie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    No, actually it's Mong Kok, two words.

The only placename in HK in which the Chinese characters are run into one English word, according to government usage, is Fanling.
    Yeah, what's the deal with Fanling? You got: Tai(space)Po, Sha(space)Tin or Tin(space)Shui(space)Wai. What makes Fanling so special that is has no space in-between ?

Nobody knows!

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Er, Lantau, Kowloon? Taikoo is also far more common on site:.gov.hk than Tai Koo.

I dont know how to pronounce it either. lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Better to pronounce "Hung", as that is closer to how it is pronounced in Cantonese which means "red".
    Doesn't work on any locals I know...Hung meets with same blank stares as Hong does with westerners!

After this great essay, can anyone tell me the key points in 1-2 lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Er, Lantau, Kowloon? Taikoo is also far more common on site:.gov.hk than Tai Koo.
    The first one is an "English" name (Lantau is Tai Yue Shan in Cantonese) and the second is an archaic transliteration which doesn't faithfully follow the pronunciation of Chinese characters as per Sai Kung, Wan Chai, Sheung Wan etc. If it did, it would be Kau Lung.

In the case of Taikoo, I guess the government webmasters aren't following their own rules.

There are a lot of affluent public housing residents and while prying them out of their inexpensive public housing flats would make room for needier people, I think that having well-off tenants in public housing blocks is a great thing. Having a mix of income levels living together in the same development is good for social cohesion and, crucially, prevents the p.h. estates from becoming nests of crime, substance abuse, neglect, etc.

We do need way, way more public housing, though.

That was part of Count von Leung's campaign platform, IIRC.

Last edited by dear giant; 27-06-2012 at 06:54 PM.
    Skyhook and emmie like this.