Like Tree41Likes

Occupy given 1 hour to clear stuff. Police on scene.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    I admire your idealism (I truly do) but I don't think the Occupy mvt achieved much tbh (especially in Hong Kong).
    I have to agree, maybe in the beginning they did try to engage in something constructive (I remember book readings, debates on capitalism & movie screenings). But the interest sort of fizzled out, and as of last week there was all of 3 people there.

It isn't a problem unless you have a solution, and if the solution is camping out with a bunch of unwashed hippies, I'll stick with capitalism.

Quote Originally Posted by vinyljunky:

It isn't a problem unless you have a solution, and if the solution is camping out with a bunch of unwashed hippies, I'll stick with capitalism.
    Let me clarify, is that your opinion of the whole 99% movement? I think it has an important message that the insatiable greed of a few has caused suffering for the many.

But I'm not going to argue with cynics who characterise tens of thousands of protesters of all ages and backgrounds as "unwashed hippies".
    Last edited by bookblogger; 11-09-2012 at 04:37 PM.

The Occupy 'movement' achieved pretty much nothing, globally.

If it was actually a movement, with leaders, goals, any organisation or planning at all, it might have done - but in the end it was just a largely mindless rant against capitalism.

MovingIn07, Mat and randy1 like this.

Why waste time and spill so much ink over something that achieves "nothing"? I see many of you folks here must work in the financial industry, surprise, surprise.

bookblogger likes this.

Fiona - I saw the crowd of women police officers as well. I must admit some of them can handcuff me anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    Fiona - I saw the crowd of women police officers as well. I must admit some of them can handcuff me anytime.
    hahhahahahha yes, they were all young and pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Let me clarify, is that your opinion of the whole 99% movement? I think it has an important message that the insatiable greed of a few has caused suffering for the many.
    No - that's my opinion of the movement in Hong Kong.

When the movement started here, I did think that they would achieve something. Some of my observations are documented in Occupy Central (Hong Kong) - Rangefinderforum.com. However, I didn't see any positive outcomes or changes. But if you can name one contructive outcome of the movement in Hong Kong, I will gladly change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    I always find it "interesting" to have some weridos around in HK (provided they don't cause harm to themselves or others of course). It makes watching this city a little more "colourful", adding a little "spice" to the lives of our dour and grim locals, hahaha.

"why" do you "always" put "eveything" in "exclamation" marks?

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    It was not even a protest per se. I come out of HSBC Main every day and have never seen a protester. Just some odds and ends lying in the sofa or in a tent.
    that's funny.. that's exactly what they're protesting about; what you choose to ignore.
    threelittlepigs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Partridge:
    "why" do you "always" put "eveything" in "exclamation" marks?
    To piss you off .

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast