View Poll Results: How should the poor be given benefits?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • As wages form a work programme

5 41.67%
  • In Cash

2 16.67%
  • In cash and food stamps

0 0%
  • In food stamps

0 0%
  • A smart card

5 41.67%
  • Board and lodging only (room with food)

2 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree5Likes

Indignity of an Spending Management program

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    How about restrictions instead? Tell them what they cannot spend it on.
    It probably does work like that. Excluding alcohol, cigarettes etc

For people who are unable to manage a weekly budget it should be possible to have daily top-ups.

I would assume they limit they scanners for those cards to only be used at regular checkout counters to the major supermarket chains (IGA, Woolworth, Coles) where you cannot buy alcohol or cigarettes as they have their own separate counters.

The obvious way this would be abused would be to exchange 'allowed goods' for cash. The scheme being open to abuse shouldn't be reason enough to stop it though?

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    The obvious way this would be abused would be to exchange 'allowed goods' for cash...
    Indeed, and the allowed goods would be traded in for smokes and booze at a major discount, so the recipients will end up being the abused rather than the abusers.

I can see it already, in a dark alley, where a couple of cigarettes are being swapped for a box of rice crispies.
    bryant.english and justjoe86 like this.

I'm sure you could use them to buy allowed goods, then bring back the receipt and ask for an exchange. Supermarkets would duly oblige.

Much more fun to think of methods to exploit the system than to give feedback!

Basically, this scheme would have the unfortunate by product of creating a black market for booze and gambling, and anyone who's watched a Mafia movie or two will know what that means!

Last edited by justjoe86; 16-10-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    I'm sure you could use them to buy allowed goods, then bring back the receipt and ask for an exchange. Supermarkets would duly oblige.

Much more fun to think of methods to exploit the system than to give feedback!

Basically, this scheme would have the unfortunate by product of creating a black market for booze and gambling, and anyone who's watched a Mafia movie or two will know what that means!
    It's nothing new...the Salvos and various other charities have tried it with food vouchers before and the same happened there....