Cold Weather Alert

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by paul9:
    I am moving to Hong Kong from Boston, Massachusetts, where it is currently -9 C outside. I can't wait for the comparatively mild winters of Hong Kong!

Fingers crossed that the summers are bearable....

I came to Hong Kong to escape the Canadian winter. But I've been freezing my ass off here for 3 weeks cuz we have no heat in the house! At least in Canada I have a car and a heated house. What a burn!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Mundo:
    I came to Hong Kong to escape the Canadian winter. But I've been freezing my ass off here for 3 weeks cuz we have no heat in the house! At least in Canada I have a car and a heated house. What a burn!
    That's the difference. I am much colder here than I was in the UK. I have no heating in my office and the flats are not designed with cold in mind so you fight a losing battle trying to keep them warm.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    That's the difference. I am much colder here than I was in the UK. I have no heating in my office and the flats are not designed with cold in mind so you fight a losing battle trying to keep them warm.

Buy yourself a couple of "Warmergotchis" from the 7-11... keeps your hands warm in the office

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Mundo:
    Buy yourself a couple of "Warmergotchis" from the 7-11... keeps your hands warm in the office
    Perhaps if I did some work....na too drastic

I am moving to Hong Kong from Boston, Massachusetts, where it is currently -9 C outside. I can't wait for the comparatively mild winters of Hong Kong!

Hah, that's what I thought too, until you realize that in Boston, your house, car, and office are all heated. Here it may be more like 40 degrees, but it's 40 degrees *all the time*. Not to mention that it's relatively dryer there. I'd rather be in Boston where at least all the humidity has turned into snow, than here, where it's all in your clothes and blankets. :P

And to continue to pile on---
    since nothing is heated and mostly built of concrete, the walls absorb the cold and then radiate it out, the windows are old and drafty and, to top it off, you have to circulate air in public places but there is no heat so the AC fans are all on. Heck, at Lo Wu as you pass the seldom-used luggage x-ray device you are blasted with AC pouring out of the ceiling vent.

Oh, and the summers won't be bearable, they will be hot and humid. The temps on our balcony, in the sun, last summer were constantly over 110/43 and here you get both the heat and the humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    Oh, and the summers won't be bearable, they will be hot and humid. The temps on our balcony, in the sun, last summer were constantly over 110/43 and here you get both the heat and the humidity.
    Yup indeed think of being in a sauna and you'll get somewhere near what its like in HK in the summer

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Yup indeed think of being in a sauna and you'll get somewhere near what its like in HK in the summer
    What you mean lots of naked people sitting around? Where, where, where?

Quote Originally Posted by PerryCo:
    Just wondering if anyone in Hong Kong has been directly affected by the long Cold Weather Alerts, over ten days now. And, will this cold weather affect business or the Hong Kong economy? Some vegetables and fruit prices have already gone up, and I hear the pork and chicken prices are set to rise, since most come from mainland China. If the cold weather lasts another 5-10 days it could be serious, and have some impact on Hong Kong.

Any inside information from expats?
    The question is moot. If this cold weather is affecting anyone seriously, it's certainly not likely be to people posting on English-language internet forums.

The cold weather is probably affecting some people in more than a "oh, it's cold at home" way, but you're really asking the wrong crowd.
    Last edited by jgl; 13-02-2008 at 01:55 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast