Cold Weather Alert

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    The question is moot. If this cold weather is affecting anyone seriously, it's certainly not likely be to people posting on English-language internet forums.

The cold weather is probably affecting some people in more than a "oh, it's cold at home" way, but you're really asking the wrong crowd.
    JGL: you hit it! since most of us either grew up in N. America and Europe... the current cold weather is simply nothing compared to those chilly sub-zero winds plus snow storms in States and Europe.

lets run up the heaters and make some $$$?? we can put global warming to the back burner for now.

yeah, you're right. I still rather be here knowing that it'll warm up soon, than to be suffering through a 4 month Canadian winter!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Mundo:
    yeah, you're right. I still rather be here knowing that it'll warm up soon, than to be suffering through a 4 month Canadian winter!
    Give me a Canadian winter over 8 months of sauna/summer

Ah, what am I doing here?!?

Give me a Canadian winter over 8 months of sauna/summer

Ah, what am I doing here?!?

I thought the "sauna" weather is only from june to september... 4 months? or so I'm told. October to me is the perfect weather!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Mundo:
    I thought the "sauna" weather is only from june to september... 4 months? or so I'm told. October to me is the perfect weather!
    Come to think of it, 8 months is probably exaggerating... it just seems like 8 months (actually, it seems like 10!).

Yep I would agree October is perfect. June I call suicide month - rain, rain, rain oh and some more rain.

Four moths of sauna is probably correct. It sets in sometime in late May and gets out sometime in September.
    And I think I am cold more often here than I ever was back home in New England. Back home the cold was harsher and longer, but it was for short periods. Here there is no heat so you are cold at home, cold going to work, cold at the office, cold returning from work, cold at home....

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    And to continue to pile on---
    since nothing is heated and mostly built of concrete, the walls absorb the cold and then radiate it out, the windows are old and drafty and, to top it off, you have to circulate air in public places but there is no heat so the AC fans are all on. Heck, at Lo Wu as you pass the seldom-used luggage x-ray device you are blasted with AC pouring out of the ceiling vent.

Oh, and the summers won't be bearable, they will be hot and humid. The temps on our balcony, in the sun, last summer were constantly over 110/43 and here you get both the heat and the humidity.
    Thanks for the pile on ;-)

Agreed.... the winters in Boston are bearable because most parts of life are correctly equipped for the cold. However I'm still holding out hope that my winter life will see improvements in HK... photography without freezing fingers is high on the list.

Do most flats in HK allow/support air conditioning units in the windows? I will inquire with the agents and landlords, but is there some hidden surprise that has thwarted a/c units for others? I would probably want one, in the bedroom.

[from Newark, waiting for the flight...]

Seems like every bedroom in HK has a mount on the external wall to hold an air conditioner. The only exceptions would be *really* old buildings or places with centralised AC.

This winter that everyone seems to be moaning about really doesn't seem that cold to me. My place has a continual draft through leaky windows and AC units, but if I wear woollen socks and a fleece, I'm pretty much comfortable at home. HK isn't equipped for cold weather but it's been around 10 degrees or a bit warmer most the time through this recent cold snap. Double glazing or central heating isn't necessary for that.

HK isn't equipped for cold weather but it's been around 10 degrees or a bit warmer most the time through this recent cold snap. Double glazing or central heating isn't necessary for that.
    Tell that to the dead and the hospitalized.
    And if HK developers would improve their construction techniques the electrical usage would come down in both the summer and winter, which would help improve this air.

Paul9--I think everything is HK has AC and is equipped for AC. Having AC will be the least of your worries.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast