Like Tree9Likes

The lottery of Life - HK Ranks highly

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

this is freaking me out now.... everyone is agreeing on something!!!!

I did pretty damn well then it seems.

If you look at the methodology behind it, it explains why HK's position is more favourable than you'd expect relative to some of the other countries. I'd be curious to see where HK was positioned if you removed the climate and physical security (including terrorism) ratings....substantially lower than US, UK etc I would guess.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    If you look at the methodology behind it, it explains why HK's position is more favourable than you'd expect relative to some of the other countries. I'd be curious to see where HK was positioned if you removed the climate and physical security (including terrorism) ratings....substantially lower than US, UK etc I would guess.
    There you go injecting reality into the Economist's intentionally "contrarian" (i.e. ludicrous) ranking designed to trigger the "What the ?" reflexes of the Economist's primarily developed-world-dwelling readership.
    bryant.english likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    I don't see too many categories where the UK/US would be substantially higher than HK. Life expectancy is also better in HK, education level/literacy would be similar, economic outlook likely better in HK, freedom/human rights is similar, cost of living is similar since high property taxes are tempered by cheaper food/taxes. Overall access to health services is better in HK. Frankly, there are only three aspects I see that are overall significantly worse here: Lack of personal space, pollution level and property prices.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    ...Overall access to health services is better in HK.
    No wonder mainlanders have a mass exodus to HK and take up all the maternity ward spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by dear giant:
    There you go injecting reality into the Economist's intentionally "contrarian" (i.e. ludicrous) ranking designed to trigger the "What the ?" reflexes of the Economist's primarily developed-world-dwelling readership.
    Judging by your reaction, it has clearly worked.
    dear giant and bryant.english like this.