Like Tree37Likes

Jay Walkers are the scurge of Hong Kong roads

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Jay Walkers are the scurge of Hong Kong roads

Although the police have regular purges and beef up enforcement from time to time the problem of Jay walking never seems to get solved.

www.roadsafety.gov.hk - pedestrians.html

Last edited by East_coast; 10-12-2012 at 09:48 AM.
    dear giant likes this.

From these statistics, it appears that pedestrians under the age of 60 represented only about half of the fatalities of motor vehicle occupants during the same period, suggesting that it is actually safer to jaywalk... Don't you just love statistics?

audiot likes this.

i resent the fact that jay walking is de-facto illegal!

sometimes there really are no cars in sight at a crossing point and its possible to cross safely inconveniencing nobody and still get a jay walking ticket!

closedcasket likes this.

I guess that would be the opinion of a driver who thinks that roads should be for cars/buses/trucks. If HK was more pedestrian friendly and drivers were courteous, it would be way better than cracking down on jaywalking.

In any case, it is the driver's responsibility to avoid hitting pedestrians. In HK, many drivers seem to think it's the other way around.

Last edited by gilleshk; 10-12-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by audiot:
    i resent the fact that jay walking is de-facto illegal!

sometimes there really are no cars in sight at a crossing point and its possible to cross safely inconveniencing nobody and still get a jay walking ticket!
    Same in cars at red lights.....no?
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    I guess that would be the opinion of a driver who thinks that roads should be for cars/buses/trucks. If HK was more pedestrian friendly and drivers were courteous, it would be way better than cracking down on jaywalking.
    I don't know, I'm a 'pro-car' driver but I am also a pedestrian! Same as I'm also a cyclist! My kids, my wife and many, well all, people I know are pedestrians at least some of the time.

I believe that there should be no jaywalking laws, let people cross where they want and remove all of those bloody railings.....IMO it's the railings that cause jaywalking in many cases.

In built up areas, let pedestrians and cars share the space...in city centres have no distinction between side-walk and road....

Legalising electric bikes, changing driver attitudes, (pedestrians always should have right of way)....can't get used to not stopping at zebras, not that this is just a HK problem.....but, it reflects on driver attitudes IMO....

Hong Kong has a shitty attitude to pedestrians generally but that seems to come from the populace rather than government...
    dear giant and East_coast like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    I don't know, I'm a 'pro-car' driver but I am also a pedestrian! Same as I'm also a cyclist! My kids, my wife and many, well all, people I know are pedestrians at least some of the time.

I believe that there should be no jaywalking laws, let people cross where they want and remove all of those bloody railings.....IMO it's the railings that cause jaywalking in many cases.

In built up areas, let pedestrians and cars share the space...in city centres have no distinction between side-walk and road....

Legalising electric bikes, changing driver attitudes, (pedestrians always should have right of way)....can't get used to not stopping at zebras, not that this is just a HK problem.....but, it reflects on driver attitudes IMO....

Hong Kong has a shitty attitude to pedestrians generally but that seems to come from the populace rather than government...
    Of course, there might be a problem with the "no railings" issue, when some mainland country bumpkin decides to take a hike across...say the Tolo Highway or the North Lantau Highway. Don't laugh, these stuff will occur if there are no physcial barrier stopping would-be daredevils taking a chance crossing a highway with vehicles going at least 60 mph. Common sense don't apply to some people. I've seen cows and horse-drawn carriages wandering about on a 4-lane freeway on the Mainland, not to mention some peasants crossing the road with cars going at least 70 mph, that peasant did not even blink.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 10-12-2012 at 10:57 AM.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Of course, there might be a problem with the "no railings" issue, when some mainland country bumpkin decides to take a hike across...
    Railings wont stop them.

3 weeks ago, Me&Wife were in a taxi when we spotted a mainland couple&suitcase right here: https://maps.google.com/?ll=22.30487...,262.9,,1,5.43
    Yes, they were trying to cross the highway and (I assume) trying to get to the train station....

Note, there are green railings there as well as a very high fence. I have no idea how they came to be there, perhaps they just got out of a stopped taxi.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Railings wont stop them.

3 weeks ago, Me&Wife were in a taxi when we spotted a mainland couple&suitcase right here: https://maps.google.com/?ll=22.30487...,262.9,,1,5.43
    Yes, they were trying to cross the highway and (I assume) trying to get to the train station....

Note, there are green railings there as well as a very high fence. I have no idea how they came to be there, perhaps they just got out of a stopped taxi.
    Maybe. Still, at least having a railing there might be a disincentive to dissuade enough people to stop crossing the road. It won't stop all, but it will reduce the number of people attempting to cross at places where they should'nt. If not railings, then just make sure there are physcial barriers to stop them. At least at the really dangerous sections of road/junctions.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 10-12-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:

In any case, it is the driver's responsibility to avoid hitting pedestrians. In HK, many drivers seem to think it's the other way around.
    Surely it is the responsibility of both drivers and pedestrians.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast