Like Tree25Likes

Webbsite HKID Index suspended

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I don't quite understand what this index was about.

But as far as national identity cards, this is a hot issue in western countries with those old enough to recall the Nazis and their req't for the Jews to register. I was given many lectures by grandparents as to why we didn't want a national ID card in Canada.

HKID is accepted here as it is great for us to enter and exit.

But I do agree it should be used for things like directorships, etc. There are just too many conflicting names and especially with civil litigation checks where IDs are not there. Very confusing.

Last edited by Football16; 16-02-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    I don't quite understand what this index was about.
    the index was to proof the point that HK IDs are public information (since he sourced them all from publicly accessible information) and should be used for identification but not authentication of individuals
    Last edited by cookie09; 16-02-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lootoo:
    Weren't you recently arguing on another thread that publishing names of journalists together with other public data associated with those names was somehow a violation of privacy? As I recall, you were unable to say why this might be true. Well, now you have the PCPD to support you, I guess...
    Wasn't the previous discussion about putting names into the public domain when they were previously private - who worked on a project within a company.

This issue is around collating and publishing information already in the public domain. The bigger issue is the additional level of secrecy the the Beijing led administration wants for company directors that only seems to benefit company directors.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Wasn't the previous discussion about putting names into the public domain when they were previously private - who worked on a project within a company.
    Nope. The names were not "private" in any way. The names published were those of the newspaper's publisher, reporter, editors and the CEO of the newspaper's owner, Gannet--all of which were either disclosed by the newspaper in the target article itself or in the newspaper's masthead--none had previously been anonymous.

Hemlock's take on the story, with Webb contributing in the comments section.

http://biglychee.com/blog/2013/02/18...mb-and-dumber/

emx likes this.

Sad to see Regina Ip flaunting her ignorance on this subject today in the SCMP letters page

Much as I admire David Webb for his outspokenness and many interesting ideas, I am astonished that he had seen fit to publish online the personal ID numbers of over 1,000 individuals, and called on others to join him in disclosing their ID numbers in social media.
    Was he not aware of the increased risk of identity theft, and threat to personal safety and security? [Webb withdrew his post last week.]

In Hong Kong, as in other parts of the world, personal identifiers like ID card and social security numbers are often used as passwords for certain accounts. In the US, leaks of the social security numbers of students by colleges (including Columbia University) led the authorities to not only apologise but also offer payments for fraud prevention.

As for the amendments to the Companies Ordinance, I see no reason why a company director or secretary has to make public his or her full identity card numbers and full residential address. The disclosure of the latter is particularly dangerous, especially if someone uses such data to stalk, harass or harm their family.

Although the public's right to know is important, there is no reason why more information should be collected or disclosed than is necessary for a specific purpose.

The more easily it has become to obtain personal data from public sources and widely disseminate them, the more reason there is for us to ensure their proper use, and that such personal information should not fall into the wrong hands.

Regina Ip, former secretary for security
    Whilst I can see a case for allowing correspondence addreses rather than residential addresses in the register, there is absolutely no rational case for regarding HKIDs as private data any more than people's names are. If you hide the HKIDs of directors then you should, logically, also hide their names and all companies should have directors listed as Diirector A, Director B, etc.
    Lootoo likes this.

just discovered this "webb-site"... loving it great bit here "Over 7 years after the Smart ID Card was launched, it is time for the Government to realise its full potential and economic benefits. In the meantime, the Government should stop treating HKIDs as secrets and publish the full HKID register of numbers and names, to remove the myth that the numbers are a reliable means of authentication."