Like Tree19Likes

The shame of Hong Kong government

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The shame of Hong Kong government

Has HK$1.8 TRILLION in reserve.

Yet this still exists:

HKITperson and dear giant like this.

Where do you get $1.8 trillion? I read it at about $750 billion in fiscal reserve.

Watercooler likes this.

It is a shame that in such a wealthy city such as HK that we don't have better welfare services for the poor and destitute, but then we also have lots of extremely greedy landlords.
    We are not talking about the mega rich but simply scrupulous landlords who are also out to exploit the poor.

I would like to see some of the old factory areas and old public houses being rebuilt to house these people and return some dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Where do you get $1.8 trillion? I read it at about $750 billion in fiscal reserve.
    Sorry, I got the figure wrong, I understand it should be HK$1.38 trillion. I got this figure based on an SCMP editorial. I am trying to hunt down the source.

Total government revenue for 2013-14 is estimated to be $435.1 billion. Earnings and profits tax, estimated at $189.4 billion, will be our major source of revenue. Land revenue is estimated at $69 billion.

Taking all these into account, it is expected that a small deficit of about $4.9 billion will be recorded in our accounts in the coming year, and we shall largely achieve fiscal balance. Fiscal reserves are estimated at $729.1 billion by end-March 2014, representing approximately 34 per cent of GDP or equivalent to 20 months of government expenditure.
    That's what was in budget speech.

There might be some sovereignty funds etc that bring up the figure to what you have quoted.

Nice bank balance. Why have such high reserves? It is estimated to increase to $850 billion by 2018. Obviously you need to have a number of months reserves if things slow, even considerably but 20 months worth?
    Last edited by virago; 28-02-2013 at 09:37 AM.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    That's what was in budget speech.

There might be some sovereignty funds etc that bring up the figure to what you have quoted.

Nice bank balance. Why have such high reserves? It is estimated to increase to $850 billion by 2018. Obviously you need to have a number of months reserves if things slow, even considerably but 20 months worth?
    Yeah, probably, but in any case, the HK government is sitting on a lot of money. Also, the kick in the teeth is for the past several years it keeps on predicting it will hit a deceit, therefore needing to remain prudent, only to pull out a fcuking huge surplus.

I however has enough money to loan Ocean Park money to build a Water World, go figure.

I think it's always to be a bit conservative but you are right, why such huge reserves? I know they need to invest and have sovereignty funds for welfare and the elderly but while there are alot of people sleeping hard every night.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    I however has enough money to loan Ocean Park money to build a Water World, go figure.
    Seriously? A much better use than throwing 6 grand at everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Seriously? A much better use than throwing 6 grand at everyone.

Not everyone

If they are going to throw money at people then they should have it tiered to income and family members.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast