Like Tree106Likes

Maids lose their final residency appeal

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    If it became more difficult then perhaps HK would do something about childcare, long working hours, etc.
    I see, but if they can find cheap labour somewhere else, which IMHO is not a big problem, then nothing will change. As such improving the conditions in the Philippines and Indonesia would not help, although it would be desirable for other reasons and as a side effect reduce the number of FDH from there (but not HK's reliance on FDH's as such).

Someone told me recently that PH and ID governments are now discouraging their populace to go and work in HK just because of the residency issue. So HK government is now looking at/talking to Bangladesh to fill the big void that'd be left if the above is true.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    Someone told me recently that PH and ID governments are now discouraging their populace to go and work in HK just because of the residency issue. So HK government is now looking at/talking to Bangladesh to fill the big void that'd be left if the above is true.
    I bet those girls in the Phillipines will send Gilles a thank you card if they are no longer able to forced into slavery in HK..

I am sorry to see the HK ruling against the Helpers, especially those who have been her for many years. It is not just Filipinos but all races who have sought a better life somewhere. Expats have a home here because they become upper-class citizens, and bring money with them. But the poor have nothing but their self to offer, and now even HK doesn't want them.

closedcasket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    I bet those girls in the Phillipines will send Gilles a thank you card if they are no longer able to forced into slavery in HK..
    I see your reading skills haven't improved with your new name... Let me try to explain it for you. What is being said(which I don't even know to be true) is that the governments of the PI and Indonesia are not encouraging their citizen to come here.

Ultimately, it would have to be the HK government's decision not to grant visas to Indonesians or filipinas which isn't going to happen. If the people start looking to South Asia, it simply will be because demand exceed supply in which case no thank you is needed.

In any case, let me state it in language you may understand: HK no take maid for slaves, give jobs...

The rest of the argument is obviously above you intellectual capacities so I won't bother repeating it.

Quote Originally Posted by cheepo:
    Arabs are pumping money into France? Haha.

You don't see the citizens complaining? Haha

Have you ever even been to France? From your comment, I believe not.
    I think this is more to do with the previous poster's crude generalisation of "arabs". Obviously he was referring to North African immigrants (many of whom are not "arab") as opposed to the Middle East 'arabs' that this amit appears to be writing about

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Gilleshk, why is it "exploitative"? This condition was agreed to by the governments concerned and by the employees. It wasn't sprung on anyone by surprise.

Would it have been better not to have had the FDH scheme at all? Or to only allow the FDHs to work in Hong Kong for a two-year period (as it is with the imported workers scheme), with zero chance of a second contract?

Any word whether this condition of stay is being argued against in Singapore?

So I suppose I could hire cheap employees from Ethiopia and you would have no problem with that....as long as it was mutually agreeable?

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    That wouldn't surprise me one bit...the question is what will Hong Kong do when it runs out of people/countries to exploit? Asia's world city...ehh, sure.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Calling FDHs "slaves" is wholly inaccurate and an affront to those who live as actual slaves, of which there are millions in the world.
    Ok....they are not slaves.....they are a slight step above slaves...does that make you feel better? What is your point? Because there are people in this world treated worse, that makes the FDH OK?

Deep down we all know this scheme ain't quite right....

its sad that some of the hardest working people cannot call hong kong home after giving their best years to the people of hong kong

closedcasket and 100LL like this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast