Like Tree152Likes

7 Cows apparently hit by a truck in Lantau

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ufo20022008:
    1 cow I understand, 2 cows ok but 7 cows ...
    I once hit a kangaroo back in Oz (or rather the kangaroo hit my car) and the shock of hitting something had me brake sharply. I wonder if the driver tried to brake?
    Sure you can understand. If the driver wasn't in the right state of mind (drunk or on meds), then she would probably react slower than the average sober person.

I don't think I should give this woman driver a pass just because she happens to be a woman or..gasp...an expat. She screwed up. She should face the consequences.

Not to rush to anyone's defence here as I know nothing of this but the police - if true - sure get to charges quickly. It is quite odd. Watercooler raises a good point about his experience. In the "agony of collision" - a legal construct - who is to say that coming around a corner driving maybe a bit more than a day speed as you've done it many times before safely and then in front of you are cows lying all over and you panic and swerve past one and glance off that one and so on.

I 'd not rush to judgment on the media coverage of an event like this.

In context vehicle crashes are serious health and economic issues.

3,500 or in excess of 1 million people are killed every day according to stats offered by the Global Road Safety Partnership. http://www.grsproadsafety.org/

That's about 10 jumbo jets with 350 crew and passengers dying per day across the world and this region is one of the worst for deaths and injury rates.

While if 10 passenger jets went down per day the media would be all over it but we get de-sensitized to it and it doesn't register until it affects us.

Last edited by Football16; 05-06-2013 at 08:36 PM.
    Watercooler and kimwy66 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Probably that woman panicked and call her husband, who then came to move some of the cows. Or maybe the husband and someone else was also involved given the size of the cows.
    Is it possible that you confuse 'cow' with 'cat'? Both start with 'C' and are hence easy to confuse. To add to the confusion, color can be similar too and this can fool easily people that are not so familiar with one, or both species.

A dead cat you can move, a dead cow, probably 200-300Kg in weight you can not. Even 2 people will struggle.

I see a nice fine here, causing a road accident and fleeing the scene.
    Lootoo and TheBrit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    Not to rush to anyone's defence here as I know nothing of this but the police - if true - sure get to charges quickly. It is quite odd. Watercooler raises a good point about his experience. In the "agony of collision" - a legal construct - who is to say that coming around a corner driving maybe a bit more than a day speed as you've done it many times before safely and then in front of you are cows lying all over and you panic and swerve past one and glance off that one and so on.

I 'd not rush to judgment on the media coverage of an event like this.

In context vehicle crashes are serious health and economic issues.

3,500 or in excess of 1 million people are killed every day according to stats offered by the Global Road Safety Partnership. http://www.grsproadsafety.org/

That's about 10 jumbo jets with 350 crew and passengers dying per day across the world and this region is one of the worst for deaths and injury rates.

While if 10 passenger jets went down per day the media would be all over it but we get de-sensitized to it and it doesn't register until it affects us.
    True, but you are referring to Canadian cases, while HK is also a common law jurisdiction, I don't really know how applicable that concept is for HK (any barristers/solicitors can enlighten me?). In any case, even if you can argue that defense, I don't know if it will really hold up well in court. The woman is driving in South Lantau. She needs a special permit to drive there (usually apply for the permit because she lives in South Lantau). That mean she should have been aware of the cows which are a fixture in that part of the island. She would have known that the cows frequently sit around the roads.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 05-06-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Is it possible that you confuse 'cow' with 'cat'? Both start with 'C' and are hence easy to confuse. To add to the confusion, color can be similar too and this can fool easily people that are not so familiar with one, or both species.

A dead cat you can move, a dead cow, probably 200-300Kg in weight you can not. Even 2 people will struggle.

I see a nice fine here, causing a road accident and fleeing the scene.
    Is it possible you don't have common sense? Or do you have that dreaded "automatically-going-to-the-defense-of-someone-because-he/she-is-an-expat" syndrome.

Husband can ask several people to move the cows. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. They keep it quiet and claim innocence of course. It's early in the morning, less likely to have other people around to see their "handiwork".

In any case, oh the police must be SO wrong right? Do you think the police are so stupid and incompetent they will arrest and charge her without some good evidence to back up their suspicions? Right, they must be going after an "innocent" expat woman? Let's setup a "defense" fund for her! Right...if this was a local, let's see if we get the same response here. More likely condemn him or her to kingdom come.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 05-06-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Probably that woman panicked and call her husband, who then came to move some of the cows. Or maybe the husband and someone else was also involved given the size of the cows.
    I'm going with aliens being responsible. Makes more sense than a bunch of expats returning to the scene of a crime to move numerous dead cows out the road...
    Watercooler, elle and rathunt like this.

The truck didn't look that badly damaged.

http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/realti...30605/51458415

Husband can ask several people to move the cows. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. They keep it quiet and claim innocence of course. It's early in the morning, less likely to have other people around to see their "handiwork".
    Yes, because if they move the cows out of the road and onto the pavement/sidewalk those silly Hong Kong police would never suspect that the poor bovines had died of anything other than natural causes...
    Watercooler, closedcasket and elle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lootoo:
    I'm going with aliens being responsible. Makes more sense than a bunch of expats returning to the scene of a crime to move numerous dead cows out the road...
    Of course, how can expats do such a thing? They are honest, law-abiding citizens! Gasp...it's unheard of for expats to commit crime in HK!

And the police must harbor grudges against this expat woman! How else can we explain this poor innocent lady getting arrested!
    Last edited by Watercooler; 05-06-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lootoo:
    Yes, because if they move the cows out of the road and onto the pavement/sidewalk those silly Hong Kong police would never suspect that the poor bovines had died of anything other than natural causes...
    You can never guess what goes on in the mind of a drunk person(or persons in this case). People who are drunk/on medication/in state of panic don't think logically.

And I'm sure the police would have ask the vets to check whether they die of natural causes. They are not going to charge someone now if they don't have solid basis for doing so.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 05-06-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast