Like Tree339Likes

Snowden in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Well the US have some of the Chinese dissidents. China has one of theirs. Seems fair

Just read his Q&A. If past leaks are any indication, this dude is toast! They go after most leaks, be they HUMINT or SIGINT, with vigor. Just ask Scooter Libby, Bradley Manning, and John Kiriakou!

😬

Sent from my 📱 using GeoClicks Mobile app

Yup, but he's the only one who has come to HK for shelter, and straight into the arms of the Chinese. They're not going to let him go, at least not without a game of cat and mouse. I bet the Chinese officials are laughing their asses off over this one! They love to see the US lose face.

ouwen likes this.

I think his trust in Hong Kong and Chinese protection is sorely mistaken. Guess we'll find out soon enough!

Sent from my 📱 using GeoClicks Mobile app

Watercooler likes this.

I think he was very clever to come here. China is NOT going to give him up because of the dissident issue in the US. The Chinese may just grant this guy special asylum and the HK extradition treaty has exceptions for political issues. Regardless of HK's treaty, China has the final say when it comes to what goes down here; whether we like it or not, this is still a city under Chinese rule, just with selective enforcement.

From here he can fly to any other country that is willing to offer him asylum, or he can just get comfy in HK. It's not the worst place in the world to be. If it does play out that way, I think we're going to see a lot more whistleblowers following in his footsteps.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    China is NOT going to give him up because of the dissident issue in the US. The Chinese may just grant this guy special asylum and the HK extradition treaty has exceptions for political issues. Regardless of HK's treaty, China has the final say when it comes to what goes down here; whether we like it or not, this is still a city under Chinese rule, just with selective enforcement.

From here he can fly to any other country that is willing to offer him asylum, or he can just get comfy in HK.
    I think - exactly for the reason that China rules HK - it is not a very clever move to give himself in to the PRC. And IMHO he will now remain their political hostage: there is no way China will let his free movement out of HK; they will just keep him here until it is convenient for them to use him in their political games with the US.

He thinks China is going to support a guy who is protesting against state electronic surveillance? The mind boggles!

If he's leaked highly confidential CIA documentation then he is a criminal in the eyes of any court in the world and will be shipped back in short order I would think.

Yup, that is a possibility too. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. They can't be too soft on him since they don't want Chinese people doing the same kind of thing.

mid_gen: no, they won't support him, but they'll use him as a pawn with which to mess with the US.

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 10-06-2013 at 08:41 AM.
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mid_gen:
    He thinks China is going to support a guy who is protesting against state electronic surveillance? The mind boggles!

If he's leaked highly confidential CIA documentation then he is a criminal in the eyes of any court in the world and will be shipped back in short order I would think.
    His leak doesn't have anything to do with the CIA. If you read the article it points out he did not release information about human intelligence operations out of respect for sources and methods.

There is a theory being expressed by some conspiracy types that he was fed the information by Chinese hackers to embarrass Obama at the China-US summit last week. Just when Obama was working to chastise the Chinese over cyber-warfare and surveillance he finds himself on the defensive about the NSA's programs.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast